1970 Sport Fury GT: How Many Survived?

70GTbasketcase. Sorry I'm adding my 2 cents in so late. What a shame of all the GTs in the scrap yards. However, I couldn't help but notice, post 5 you put up. Why does it have 383 on the hood, when its a GT? A GT came with a standard 440 or could opt for a 440 6bbl. The S/23 came with the 383

PcWilliams, The last green GT is owned by "The Rod." It has a black vinyl top from what I remember. Should be on his registry website.

70GTbasketcase. Sorry I'm adding my 2 cents in so late. What a shame of all the GTs in the scrap yards. However, I couldn't help but notice, post 5 you put up. Why does it have 383 on the hood, when its a GT? A GT came with a standard 440 or could opt for a 440 6bbl. The S/23 came with the 383

You could order a S23 with a 318 if you wanted…..

Polara71, Yes, fc7-plumcrazy is correct. The 318 was standard. Both 383 2 and 4bbl were optional. Not standard.

I'd love to see someone create a VIN number registry for the GT's.

I have two GT vins.

Both removed in the late 70s, early 80s from cars that ended up crushed.

I've also recently got word of what may be a real A52 car in my area.

Nick

69FuryIIIConvertible, If you're saying there's a real A52 car in your area. It's definitely worth checking out. What's the worst that could happen, not be what you thought. Or be a "show stopper" and buy it on the spot. I would go for it. Considering how rare those cars are nowadays

69FuryIIIConvertible, If you're saying there's a real A52 car in your area. It's definitely worth checking out. What's the worst that could happen, not be what you thought. Or be a "show stopper" and buy it on the spot. I would go for it. Considering how rare those cars are nowadays
From what I've been told its a basket case that's been sitting behind a body shop for about 20 years.

That being said, I don't shy away from basketcases....

Nick

20 years in a body shop sounds better than 20 years in the backyard underneath a pine tree

Nick, You're saying that, it's a basket case. I understand you must really like projects. You gotta ask yourself though, how much will the car be worth when I'm done? How much will I spend restoring it? Some people tend to go "full blown" and get over their heads on restoring a car. You don't want to go over budget and want to have as much invested that it's not worth keeping. However, All I can say is, I hope the rot is not at all bad and there is a cover on it. (most likely not) Best of luck. Please let us all know

Last edited:
Isn,t that the car @CanCritter bought….?
my 70 gt came from Brooks albt….sitting 10 years outside a bodyshop next to a A&W drive through...surprised it lasted so long in that spot....it came to me rust free with bodywork done..was a 54k car outa Utah and came to alberta via Dan Corley in Washington some 20 years ago
20180714_151051_1531627254572.jpg

Here is the 100% original Sport Fury GT from West Virginia that was parked next to me at the Mason Dixon Mopar show in Maryland in 2012.
DSC01286.JPG

Back