1971 N-code Factory Sunroof Newport

Some photos showing its final destination......................the weather wasn't cooperating though, very cloudy still...................

2019-12-03 00.12.01.jpg
2019-12-03 00.12.18.jpg
2019-12-03 00.12.37.jpg
2019-12-03 00.12.58.jpg
2019-12-03 00.01.45.jpg
2019-12-03 00.02.11.jpg
2019-12-03 00.04.21.jpg
2019-12-03 00.04.36.jpg
2019-12-03 00.04.49.jpg

My body/paint guy didn't flinch at the rust repair needed, and he thought it was a cool car - so the project is off to a good start!

They say it never rains in California, but it does snow.....................just before the Newport arrived.............. :wideyed:

2019-12-01 00.01.34.jpg

The current midwestern climate followed that beauty all the way to you Steve. The force is strong with that one.:lol:

Do we have any progress updates yet?

Yes, I have been spending a little time here and there while I work on other projects as well.

To date, I now have it running very well and had to replace the starter and I used the smaller high speed/torque starter type that I don't care is not original, I just like them a lot better than the originals and they are not so obvious to see.

I also changed the coolant which was pretty good already and changed the dirty oil with some Valvoline VR1 20-50 racing oil and anti-drain back filter, and changed out the fuel.

I also replaced all the brakes/lines as needed for now on the car so I now have full working brakes and replaced the brake light switch with a new one.

I fixed all the oil leaks as well which included replacing the front shocks (I have never had one of those leak before!) and also replaced the input shaft and lower sector shaft seals on the power steering gear - no more leaks - nice.

Cleaning the interior was also a priority since it was very dirty and there have been mice in it in the past, so now I don't have to grimmace when I get in the car.

The sunroof tracks were also cleaned out and some graphite grease was used to lube the tracks and chains as well. It works just like new now, and better than the one on my 71 New Yorker. I do have to replace the headliner but that can wait until I do the full restoration.

I also had to replace one of the window regulators so now it works properly and the windows go up and down easily, like new after cleaning and greasing the mechanisms and while I was at it, I put on the correct outside review mirror - I couldn't stand looking at the incorrect one a previous owner put on the car.

I also found a build sheet in good condition under the rear seat!

The transmission was replaced somewhere along the line but when I took it out for a spin, it worked fine. The steering is precise and tracks nicely and there are no squeaks/rattles or other significant issues. The engine is original. There is no doubt this car is its original 41K miles though.

I also located and bought the last piece of NOS driver side rear quarter molding in existence that I could find so all the trim is now present and accounted for.

Here are a couple photos of what it looks like now, but not too much different on the exterior since it will be fully restored later, but I did put the trim piece in place so it looks normal, but did so only temporarily until the body is restored and when I will have all the clips on so it aligns correctly with the door trim.

So that is all I will likely do for now until the full restoration is started. I just wanted it to look OK and the interior clean and have it running nicely before storing it for awhile.

After messing around with this car for a little now, I really love it and will enjoy restoring it. I can't thank ayilar, Matt and Wyatt and others who helped so much in my being able to get it.

Thanks for asking!

2020-01-30 00.00.26.jpg
2020-01-30 00.00.43.jpg
2020-01-30 00.00.57.jpg
2020-02-05 00.03.07.jpg

Last edited:
That is awesome that the sunroof only required some cleaning and a lube and now works like new! Car looks great even now...Congrats again on the acquisition.:thumbsup:

Gee... what happened to the nifty hood pins? :lol:

This car has won the lottery AFAIAC, good to see her in the right hands. :thankyou::thumbsup:

That is one bad *** newport.
Any idea when you will do the restoration?
Looks great now!

Thanks, as I really love the car and especially in turquoise!

I was actually out driving it today - with the sunroof open. It was my birthday so I enjoyed myself! The experience of a 383-4 bbl package is unique and very enjoyable. :steering:

The timing of its restoration is uncertain but I do want to do it sooner rather than later.

It may look great now to you but it is the most rusty car I have ever had, and it isn't really that bad either (i.e., that I am going to keep - I have had more rusty parts cars). We are just spoiled out West in that regard.

Last edited:
Thanks, as I really love the car and especially in turquoise!

I was actually out driving it today - with the sunroof open. It was my birthday so I enjoyed myself! The experience of a 383-4 bbl package is unique and very enjoyable. :steering:

The timing of its restoration is uncertain but I do want to do it sooner rather than later.

It may look great now to you but it is the most rusty car I have ever had, and it isn't really that bad either (i.e., that I am going to keep - I have had more rusty parts cars). We are just spoiled out West in that regard.
Belated Happy Birthday! Great way to celebrate!

Congratzs Steve , tomorrow ( the 25th ) is my bd......time flies…..

Best wishes on your special day as well! You folks in the Netherlands probably have a lot of sunlight during the days around this time of year, correct? So even more time to enjoy.:)

sun went down a few minutes before 10 pm today.
And it will go up at 5.10am in the morning again

So lots of daylight

@Martin: Happy birthday Dude ! Jump in the Monaco and drive down to the BBTR

Carsten

It has been six months since @saforwardlook, @78Brougham and @Ripinator's last posted in this thread, so here are a couple of trivia pieces about CE23N1C107019 for Boxing Day.

1. Her scheduled build date (SBD) was 9-1-1970. Chrysler models were supposed to be released to the public the next day (on September 2, 1970) and to go on sale on Tuesday, October 6, 1970.

2. She is a Newport (not a lower-end Newport Royal, which did not yet exist, and not a higher-end Newport Custom) and her VIN starts with CE, just as it would have in 1970.* The CE code ended up being used by the Chrysler Royal when that new entry-level trim was added "later in the 1971 model year." It must not have been too much later: to wit, @IronClad's CE23K1C151247 is a Newport Royal (SBD 11-9-1970).

--> it would be nice to know when the switch from CE to CL for the Newport, and from CL to CM for the Newport Custom, was made (assuming the nomenclature was changed prior to the 1972 model year). For example, CL41L1C198315 is a Newport Custom and her SBD was in February 1971, yet her VIN still started with CL -- not CM. In the same vein, CE23L1C254989 is a spring-build plain Newport yet her VIN still starts with CE.

*: Back in 1970, CM was the code for Chrysler 300 models, CL was the code for Newport Customs, and CE was the code for plain Newports. In 1971, it is my understanding that CS was the code for Chrysler 300 models. In 1972, the CM prefix went to the Newport Custom while the CS prefix went to the new top-of-the-line Chrysler, the NYB.

Last edited:
Back