1971 Plymouth Sport Fury GT Brogham & U code Super Comando

Yes..been mulling it over...would you have a link handy for him....? Seen the post but no idea where to find it now...not shure if we have time but am looking into it....new radio l can use on my 91 gmc and is more fitted to that styleing

there are a few who convert them. Maybe someone on the board has 1st hand experience with one of them.

I'll do some looking though

Here's some options

Ward's Classic Car Radio Repair

h25.jpg

1969 Mopar B Body AM FM Bluetooth® Repro Radio 69

I've sent a couple folks on here to this guy and they've been very happy.

Auto Radio, Auto Audio, for antique and vintage vehicles

Wards does repairs, not conversions, from what I understand. Not a bad thing, but the conversion is pretty cool, same money, and can do a lot more for you.

I have not heard good things about the repop B body radio. Maybe things are better now, I don't know. Moot point anyway. It won't fit a C body.

I was just quickly looking for people that deal with old radios ... I knew the vid was a B body radio but he does stock radio conversions also. I don't know anything about him ... just some references.

And Wards also does FM conversions

We Now offer FM conversions . We can install modern high quality FM stereo into your vintage radio.

45 Watts per channel . You have the option of having 1,2,3,or 4 speakers (up to 180 watts total !)RCA Jacks

are installed as well, at no extra charge , if you so desire . You can run your CD player, or use a simple adapter cord and

plug in your mp3 / ipod, etc. We do this conversion for $ 469 in most cases and return shipping is included,(call or e-mail to confirm your specific radio can be converted)

I've got the same radio in my Fury, as radio's go it's a PITA because the fancy LED display washes out completely on a sunny day. At night it's worst, the LED's are not connected to the dimmer so the radio is way too bright. It's saving grace, it has a CD player and I have a couple of CD's I burned with oldie's. It also has bluetooth for iPhone or iPod, but I've yet to figure out how to use them. It has remote control which makes life easier in that you don't have to figure out the front panel controls.
Mind you all this may not apply to people with younger eyes. My most used possessions are my many magnifying glasses and the dozens of bright Led flashlights I have all over the house.
Getting old sucks!:mad:

I was just quickly looking for people that deal with old radios ... I knew the vid was a B body radio but he does stock radio conversions also. I don't know anything about him ... just some references.

And Wards also does FM conversions

We Now offer FM conversions . We can install modern high quality FM stereo into your vintage radio.

45 Watts per channel . You have the option of having 1,2,3,or 4 speakers (up to 180 watts total !)RCA Jacks

are installed as well, at no extra charge , if you so desire . You can run your CD player, or use a simple adapter cord and

plug in your mp3 / ipod, etc. We do this conversion for $ 469 in most cases and return shipping is included,(call or e-mail to confirm your specific radio can be converted)

There's several companies doing the conversions. It's probably the same conversion. As long as it's an Aurora based conversion, it should be fine. There was another company, AAR, supplying the conversion circuit boards and they've had some quality issues. Wards has a good rep for repairs and there would be no reason not to use them. Gary Tayman has helped me in the past and I know a few here have used him, so I know he will be good and turn it around fast.

I've got the same radio in my Fury, as radio's go it's a PITA because the fancy LED display washes out completely on a sunny day. At night it's worst, the LED's are not connected to the dimmer so the radio is way too bright. It's saving grace, it has a CD player and I have a couple of CD's I burned with oldie's. It also has bluetooth for iPhone or iPod, but I've yet to figure out how to use them. It has remote control which makes life easier in that you don't have to figure out the front panel controls.
Mind you all this may not apply to people with younger eyes. My most used possessions are my many magnifying glasses and the dozens of bright Led flashlights I have all over the house.
Getting old sucks!:mad:

You have me curious. Are you using a modern radio? We've been talking about conversions that use the same face plate, analog type dial etc. No LED except sometimes they put a small LED indicator on the dial.

You have me curious. Are you using a modern radio? We've been talking about conversions that use the same face plate, analog type dial etc. No LED except sometimes they put a small LED indicator on the dial.
Ya it's a modern Pioneer DEH-X6500BT, front panel looks like this.
DEH-X6500BT_large.jpg

It's probably a good radio, just not in a convertible. The other problem is a zillion tiny buttons that you need to search before getting it to do what you want. It does however, exactly fit in the dash radio cutout.

Ya it's a modern Pioneer DEH-X6500BT, front panel looks like this.
View attachment 78596
It's probably a good radio, just not in a convertible. The other problem is a zillion tiny buttons that you need to search before getting it to do what you want. It does however, exactly fit in the dash radio cutout.
I don't like those displays either.... especially in a convertible.
Besides the sun, there's too much going on that you have to take your eyes off the road and pay attention to.

I have a great GPS that I had in my company car... In the convertible, you can't read the screen to save your life.

Back to sound.... I have my XM radio receiver in the console. Next to it is a equalizer that controls volume and tone. From there it goes to a good amplifier and a cheap powered sub woofer that are under the seat. It sounds pretty decent, especially with the top down.

Does anyone know if the face on a 1970 radio or a 1973 radio will fit the dash bezel of a 1971 instrument panel bezel? I have radios that I believe are from 1970 Plymouths, 1971 Plymouths, and a 1973 Dodge, all stereo, and the faceplate has the same curvature. But Paul claims the curvature is different between the years, so either he is correct or my radio IDing is wrong realtive to year. Paul was going to send me photos showing the difference, but haven't received them yet. I realize he is very busy though. Since Plymouth and Dodge shared essentially the same instrument panel cluster bezel in 1971-1973, I find it hard to believe these won't interchange at least?

Does anyone know if the face on a 1970 radio or a 1973 radio will fit the dash bezel of a 1971 instrument panel bezel? I have radios that I believe are from 1970 Plymouths, 1971 Plymouths, and a 1973 Dodge, all stereo, and the faceplate has the same curvature. But Paul claims the curvature is different between the years, so either he is correct or my radio IDing is wrong realtive to year. Paul was going to send me photos showing the difference, but haven't received them yet. I realize he is very busy though. Since Plymouth and Dodge shared essentially the same instrument panel cluster bezel in 1971-1973, I find it hard to believe these won't interchange at least?
AFAIK '69, '70 and '71 use the same sized radios, there are however two or three variations. Straight AM, AM/FM and AM/FM with tape (I think 8-track). By '73 maybe cassette.

I couldnt swear to it I really think they are the same. Id like to see those comparison photos.

I also believe the changeover to cassette in the dash was 74...
all this is speculation of experience

Not to be "That guy" but a modern radio just doesnt do it for me in that car. Sorry Mr. Critter. Too much attention to detail and amazing Craftsmanship for that IMO.

A portable box on the back seat is the only way to go with this car..put it in for the drive, remove it upon arrival.

I had the am radio converted in my Imp and I love it. Looks and works just like new including the button on the floor to change stations. Guts are digital and I can plug in my MP3 player.

I had the am radio converted in my Imp and I love it. Looks and works just like new including the button on the floor to change stations. Guts are digital and I can plug in my MP3 player.

Perfect for your imp or any of My cars.....this GT needs precise correctness

Naw, an updated correct radio would work here. With some decent 6x9s hidden in the rear shelf. Is it a speaker dash? If so, some updated speakers up front too.

Back