NOT MINE 1971 Polara 2dr hardtop in Illinois (triple blue, 360, $25k ask)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
DE23K1D142274 is for sale at a dealer in Elgin, IL. Looks like GB2 Light Blue Metallic exterior paint with V1B vinyl top and F1B2 cloth-and-vinyl bench interior.

For such a high asking price, one would expect the rear quarters to have been properly repaired -- the curvature is incorrect, suggesting a poor aftermarket replacement. The interior, in contrast, looks to have been properly preserved.

1971-dodge-polara-2dr-hardtop-coupe2.jpg

1971-dodge-polara-2dr-hardtop-coupe3.jpg

1971-dodge-polara-2dr-hardtop-coupe7.jpg

1971-dodge-polara-2dr-hardtop-coupe9.jpg

1971-dodge-polara-2dr-hardtop-coupe8.jpg

1971-dodge-polara-2dr-hardtop-coupe13.jpg

1971-dodge-polara-2dr-hardtop-coupe14.jpg

VIN 1971-dodge-polara-2dr-hardtop-coupe.jpg

1971-dodge-polara-2dr-hardtop-coupe4.jpg

Dash is cracked. Quarters look like crap. Rear bumper is beat as well as the valance. Front valance is pushed up in the middle.

Would make a good driver for someone.

Someone sent me this last week and we beat it up accordingly.
I'm not sure I'd buy it for 4 grand let alone the 25,000 asking price.
The quarter work is glaringly wrong, down right embarrassing . It has obviously been repainted, what else was wrong that isn't so obvious?
I'd have to undo the horrors. For that it's a 2800.00 car.

I saw this car listed on cars.com last Tuesday. On Wednesday morning I drove over to the dealership in Elgin before going to the office. They weren't open yet and it wasn't on their lot at the time. Maybe they had it at one of the other 5 dealer locations.

Dash is cracked. Quarters look like crap. Rear bumper is beat as well as the valance. Front valance is pushed up in the middle.

Would make a good driver for someone.
You beat me to it on those things.
The front edge of the hood is also damaged above the PS headlights.

For those who haven't seen the quarterpanel repairs yet.
I thought the aftermarket patches for the 65-66 Fury were bad.
Passenger side is better, at least it somewhat meets the rear valance.
And hte VT under the rear window is kinda sketchy.

1701916794605.png

1701916803917.png

1701916917255.png

Those are 100% old JC Whitney quarter repair panels. They can be worked to look proper...but most people don't have a quarter panel to use as a guide and they screw it up and they end up looking like crap.

@Cags70PolaraConvert used them, and his body guy made em right as possible. Not perfect but damn close.

Home at last.jpg

I seen a 69 Polara Police clown car recently on ebay and it had atrocious repairs too. I seen the car in person before at shows and it didn't stand out to me then, I also wasnt really looking at the car in depth the 2 or 3 times I seen it, but in the photos it was clear. Especially side by side with a 69 with nice 1/4s.
Screenshot_20231112_094407_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231112_094338_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20231112_094357_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231112_094328_Brave.jpg

Last edited:
She certainly has a big caboose, almost looks like quarters from an Impala. This car brings back memories when we lived in an Italian neigbourhood where all the couches and chairs had plastic in the livingroom. The plastic only came off on Sundays. No offence to italian's but it is what it is!

Nice hole in the PS lower grille, too. For $25K, that car would need to be absolutely mint.

The door jamb VIN/build date sticker is phony as hell.

And this is what happens when used car dealers get 40 year old cars. All they see are dollar signs.

Reminds me of a 78 New Yorker I went to see at a Ford dealer. After the whole normal run around and pointing out all issues they'd knock $500 off. Let's just say they didn't accept my offer.

Back