1971 Rear Wheel Cylinder, Rubber End Caps

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I am rebuilding the rear brake wheel cylinders for my 1971 Plymouth fury.
I purchased NAPA rebuild kit 491. The rubber end caps are too big and will not attach to the end of the wheel cylinder. Store manager tried to help, but found nothing.
I'm looking for seller and part number for a kit that has correct rubber end caps.
Dorman 3608 appears on eBay. .FCBO search does not show anyone using this kit. Has anyone used this kit? Were the end caps right?
Drum Brake Wheel Cylinder Kit-Repair Kit Dorman 3608 | eBay
Thanks for your help.
OE end cap left front. Correct aftermarket end cap, right front (no clue where I got it). NAPA junk in rear.
PXL_20231218_215441563.jpg

OE Wheel Cylinder, Rebuilt. Basically, I'm short one end cap to finish the 2nd wheel cylinder
PXL_20231218_215255000.jpg

Aren’t the rubber ends just dust covers anyway? Can‘t you reuse your old ones?

IMHOP, Forget the rebuild, @mobileparts has the whole unit new in box for a lot less than the time and money to fix. I rebuilt the rears on my ‘70 and they still leaked, the new ones from Craig took 10 minutes to install and I think I paid about $30 for both, no leaks and they work great.

Ditto:
Craig is a 'go-to' person for brake/steering needs.

Aren’t the rubber ends just dust covers anyway? Can‘t you reuse your old ones?

IMHOP, Forget the rebuild, @mobileparts has the whole unit new in box for a lot less than the time and money to fix. I rebuilt the rears on my ‘70 and they still leaked, the new ones from Craig took 10 minutes to install and I think I paid about $30 for both, no leaks and they work great.
I appreciate the advice. I like rebuilding wheel cylinders and reusing them. I am looking for a rubber end caps (dust caps) that work with original wheel cylinders that have a flat edge, rather than the aftermarket grove and raised lip at the outer edge. I may call Craig if I don't find a rebuild kit that seals.

@Samplingman: my 71 Fury has been off the road since 1978. End caps/Dust caps are 52 years old. I think they will disintegrate after a few days on the road. They also have a steel ring in the cap that clamps it on the end of the wheel cylinder. When I try to carefully pry them off the rubber breaks off the ring and the ring becomes oblong. Metal ring shows on left front cap.
PXL_20231218_221709630.jpg

Original wheel cylinders have flat sealing surface at each end
PXL_20231218_203124192.jpg

I ordered this part from eBay, Last pic is a measurement I asked the seller to make. I measure the flange 1.180" OD.
Wagner 59154 Rbld Kit.jpg
Wagner Rbld Kit 59154 parts 2.jpg
Wagner Rbld Kit 59154 parts.jpg
eBay end cap ID.jpg

Back