For Sale 1971 Sport Fury 4dr hardtop, Not Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
what makes sense or not depends on everyones own personal situation.
No matter how good or bad it is. It is individual.
As a result it is just a question of what you can or want to afford.

But looking at it with accuracy:
Buying a C-body project car to restore makes financially never sense.
No matter how rich or poor you are.
It does not pay out financially so it is wasted money anyway.

Regarding our member "Fury Fan" and his statement he did not say "I can't afford to buy it". Or "I can't afford to rent another garage".He just complained that he hasn't got a garage for it. There are solutions for this problem. And if he has the resources to buy the 71 SF he might be able to spent the x-tra bucks for another garage.

Carsten, you are preaching to the starter of that valuation choir. This has nothing to do with the value of a C body , not sure why you keep going down that road.
WHY buy/keep a project only to keep it in a rental location? That' money in the trash. Use that money for a better car, repair what you have or buy a shed.

very simple: You can't do everything the same time.
It happens that I buy two 2 project cars within a short time.
If they are bigger projects one goes into the working garage while the other one goes into storage. Till the first one is done. After that it moves into the working garage.

Often a project car goes into storage till it is its time. Or do you think guys like Steve or Trev only have one project in their stable?
They are quite a few guys who know about paying rental fees

Right, for the average Joe, it is wasteful. Again, you've made the commitment, not owning and no kids. Steve is in a similar family situation with deeper pockets than most.
Is Trev holding onto a 318 4000 Fury in a rental spot? Unlikely.
It is all based on circumstances and desires , for most it is a foolish proposition.

Is it not true that owning space for extra cars vs renting space all costs money?
Property is never really "owned". It is used for a while for a fee.
When one "buys" a car they can say they -rented- it for a one-time rental payment.:)

Last edited:
Regarding our member "Fury Fan" and his statement he did not say "I can't afford to buy it". Or "I can't afford to rent another garage".He just complained that he hasn't got a garage for it. There are solutions for this problem. And if he has the resources to buy the 71 SF he might be able to spent the x-tra bucks for another garage.
Yes, there are solutions for 'my problem', if a lot of other life factors are ignored. If I buy it and store it at home, my commitment is fixed (mostly) upon the car - but I have no more indoor storage right now. So if I store it offsite, 2 things happen - I undertake an open-ended commitment ($100-150 month), and it becomes exceedingly difficult to visit that car, which defeats the purpose of owning it. If I keep the car for 3 years, this $6000 car became a $9600 car that I didn't enjoy very much, and the $3600 of storage has been a waste. That $3600 is more useful in other areas of my life. (you'll notice I used the low end of storage fees, too)

If this were a 1-per-lifetime car, it might change things - I have that list written down. In a case like that, 1 of my cars would sit outside (in the snow if necessary) awaiting fire-sale disposal, and the new one would come home. Nice as this car is, as much as I like it, it's not on that list, so that gameplan does not get enacted.

In the future will I sometimes wish I bought this car? Probably. But I've found it's easier to live with the unsatisfied 'what-ifs' of the 10-15 awesome cars I passed on, than it is to live with a few of them loitering around being neglected.:BangHead: My resources are not unlimited so choices must be made. I can own 2-3 cars at most and thinning out the herd isn't as easy for me as it was 10-15 years ago.

You stick a project car somewhere out of sight and by something turnkey and chances are good that you don’t see the project car again util you decide it’s probably time to sell it.
This. And the older we get the more likely it would come true.

Frankly, all I get from where this discussion is going is this hobby can be expensive.
I bought a new 69 Superbee in 1969 when I was making $1.25 per hour. That was tough but I was motivated by the car I got to drive for a while.:rolleyes:

My interest in cars over the years was ALWAYS limited by common sense. I wanted ten cars when I only could afford to use a motorcycle to commute to work. At that time my "hobby" cars sat in the weather.

I feel your pain--Fury Fan--I could never afford proper cover for my cars but cared for them as best I could.
Feeling pain about not having what we want hurts as much as we let it.
I have many stories (like many do) about great deals on great cars that slipped away. My thoughts in most of those cases did not involve taking care of those cars if I indeed acquired them.

No one has mentioned a wife who won't let you store cars at home or build a shop at home... if one wants to play with vintage cars AND keep happy a wife who doesn't get it, you pay. Plain and simple.

With the money I've paid in storage over the years (and will continue to pay) I could have built a VERY nice dream shop on our property. But unless I can pay in cash with no debt it's not going to happen.

No one has mentioned a wife who won't let you store cars at home or build a shop at home.
I'm very blessed. My wife supports and encourages my interests. Hmm...wonder if she's up to something...

20180516_184729.jpg

You stick a project car somewhere out of sight and by something turnkey and chances are good that you don’t see the project car again util you decide it’s probably time to sell it.

Ain't that the truth! The next Fury that I need to sell has not moved in more than decade and it's tucked away into a rented garage. Yes, I have a problem. I have a 40' x 32' garage with a ramp style lift and until my recent Fury sale, one car had to stay in my enclosed trailer and another over in the rented garage.

Bob, has the car sold yet? Someone is going to be really happy with that car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back