For Sale 1972 Fury Gran Coupe (2dr, 360, GY9 Tawny Gold, V1W vinyl top)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
(Edit: Not mine. For sale on CL near Richmond, VA) If I read between the lines, the seller bought the car in 2018 without a title. At least the seller offers to get one.

The $5k asking price includes a new white vinyl top (I'd ask for photos to make sure it is correct), and the seller found/kept the build sheet. No photos of the tag, the sheet, the engine, or the usual rust areas. Yes, it is a SW car and likely there is little or no rust, but I wonder about the RHS rear-window bottom corner -- would want pics before jumping in. As well, I see a deep ding on the RHS front fender.

"Hate to do this but selling my beloved Plymouth Fury Grand Coupe. About 100K miles on the car. I bought this from New Mexico in Spring of 2018. Went thru the car to get it derivable. (...) It has has the Tape Recording/Playing system (not functioning but still very cool looking). There is no rust on this car. I've sold my house and have to move and can't take this with me. Selling a couple other cars too. This has the original 360 Engine in it and the build sheet was under the back seat and included. I removed the vinyl top to get it prepped for painting. The car comes with a brand new uninstalled Vinyl white roof. A few tears in the front seat from the New Mexico Heat. The headliner is drooping and needs to be replaced. I've removed the chrome ready for paint (...) I registered the car in Maine which is a no title state, if you want and must have a title, I'll charge 250 extra and get a Virginia Title, but that has to happen before August 15th, I move and am no longer a resident of Virginia so act quick."

00D0D_cTsaPcOc2dR_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_8J8q5ryehI0_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_9IwSgPot9mR_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_hPWbYGHJrtk_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00q0q_ak5kzluLt52_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00q0q_e6pDLUWSyB1_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00r0r_6giPT3Om9OQ_0fu0bC_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_esdhImcRW6c_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it was a pretty nice car. Something going on at the rear end, rh corner. Bumper looks a bit tweaked, or is it the camera angle? Which might have resulted in the deck lid not closing fully?

At that age, you might consider a vinyl to as "maintenance". Being a southwest car might not mean rocker panel rust, but it can mean sand sifts into behind the moldings and holds moisture, over time.

Some tlc would put this car back into its glory. It deserves that. Not many around any more.

CBODY67

pretty sure it´s this one. The rips in the passenger seat match, rust at the trunk edge looks identical and so does
the dented molding overhead the passenger front wheel

For Sale - 1972 Plymouth Fury 2 Dr.Hdtp. 14K.Orig.miles $2500

Also I remember a guy that introduced himself after buying this car from New Mexico. Looks like it got some attention lately but
still plenty left to do

pretty sure it´s this one. The rips in the passenger seat match, rust at the trunk edge looks identical and so does

Also I remember a guy that introduced himself after buying this car from New Mexico. Looks like it got some attention lately but
still plenty left to do
Yes I agree it's the same car. Looks like he did a lot of clean up but not much else. Doesn't appear that he spent much money on it other than shipping costs.

New tires :poke::rofl: Maybe he tuned up the mechanics first and made it reliable. I remember him being
very motivated to bring this car back on the road but who knows....

If he's moving is this the only one that has to go? Because I spy a bumper-less Royal Monaco in the garage,too.

The seller is OsbornTramain, the guy who posts the old car manufacturer videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OsbornTramain

He had posted a video or two of the Gran Coupe when he got it. I looked at the car in person back when it was for sale in New Mexico. Nice, solid car, but it's got it's share of dents and one of the quarters looked like it might be full of mud from a repair done a long time ago.

I'd go into more detail, but I have bigger fish to fry today. The house A/C crapped out last night and I'm trying to get something rigged up before it hits 95 out.

Jeff

still plenty left to do

When I first saw this initial post, I immediately thought of that car being the one for sale in New Mexico as well - mostly because I gave serious thought to buying it myself back then. The 72 Gran Coupes are one of my favorite Plymouths.

I should quickly elaborate on the dents, as they were the main reason that I did not buy the car myself.

As usual, the car was purchased from an elderly woman, who bought it new. The second owner had it for a long time, but didn't do anything with it, other than smash into the right front fender with his backhoe. It's not obvious in the pics, but the right fender is caved in pretty good over the wheel.

Third owner was the one who had it advertised on Craigslist back when I looked at it. He was a buddy of backhoe guy. He traded some Ford product for the car and when he brought it to his place, managed to smash the rear bumper of the car into the side of a building when he lost the brakes unloading it from the trailer. So yes, the bumper is tweaked along with the trunk lid and structure behind the bumper, and probably the edge of the quarter.

As I mentioned before, there's a large area of plastic filler in the right quarter from the door back to around the wheel opening, though probably not too thick. There's also a very deep scrape type dent the entire length of the bottom of the left rear quarter, behind the wheel. The metal is pushed in at least an inch.

Add all this together, plus no title, on a car that had been off the road for 20 years, I was having a hard time pulling the trigger. The seller was rock solid on $2500 and I was looking at another $1500 plus to ship it.

The big selling point on this car is it has absolutely no rust on it that I could see from the outside. The one thing that I couldn't check was inside the trunk, as the seller had no key. Under the hood, the plating is still on the parts that were zinc or cad plated from the factory.

Jeff

This is a bit of a bummer.

Back when I discovered that Osborn had bought the car, I was so happy to see that the Fury found a good home.

Now it's tempting me again, but I'm really not in a position to be buying any cars right now.

I have enough '72-'73 Fury cars and parts that I can build a '72 Gran Coupe, but having a real one would be somewhat better. Fixing all the dents would take less time than fixing the rust on what I have, but probably not $5,000 worth of time. Hopefully, someone will buy it soon.

Ayilar, where did you see it posted for sale?

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back