1972 Imperial Revival Thread

I have enjoyed following this thread form the beginning. Would you be willing to make another video of the car running after the exhaust is complete in order to hear the difference the resonator makes in the noise level? Also, will your entire exhaust system be bolt on?

I have enjoyed following this thread form the beginning. Would you be willing to make another video of the car running after the exhaust is complete in order to hear the difference the resonator makes in the noise level? Also, will your entire exhaust system be bolt on?
The exhaust is complete. I just have an exhaust leak.

So today I got the car to run off its gas tank. The car warmed up and it seems like all the gauges are dead. The service manual testing procedure says to check for a pulsing 5v signal at the temp sending unit. No dice-I will start with a voltage regulator.

So today I got the car to run off its gas tank. The car warmed up and it seems like all the gauges are dead. The service manual testing procedure says to check for a pulsing 5v signal at the temp sending unit. No dice-I will start with a voltage regulator.
Mine needed the dash voltage regulator

New water pump? I am sure you got this. But you might try this. Remove thermostat, a fill with phosphoric acid and water mix, CLR was just that mix, not sure if it still has phosphoric acid in it. Up here in Ontario it was removed.
I buy jug of concentrated phosphoric acid for my derusting tank, a little goes along way.
You might have had lots of air trapped in block and with the sediment causing your violent boil over.
Run it just long enough with the mix to circulate through block, leave it 6 hours or overnight like 10 hrs max. start engine and flush, I garden hose connection flowing into block will help.
Keep running and sitting till clear water.
This might lead to frost plugs being pulled and block cleaned that way.

IMG_0422.jpeg

IMG_0421.jpeg

New water pump? I am sure you got this. But you might try this. Remove thermostat, a fill with phosphoric acid and water mix, CLR was just that mix, not sure if it still has phosphoric acid in it. Up here in Ontario it was removed.
I buy jug of concentrated phosphoric acid for my derusting tank, a little goes along way.
You might have had lots of air trapped in block and with the sediment causing your violent boil over.
Run it just long enough with the mix to circulate through block, leave it 6 hours or overnight like 10 hrs max. start engine and flush, I garden hose connection flowing into block will help.
Keep running and sitting till clear water.
This might lead to frost plugs being pulled and block cleaned that way.

View attachment 590727

View attachment 590728
The car was running for 20 minutes and it had a constant flow of cool fresh water through it. It boiled over after the engine was shut off. The thermostat was fully open.

Now awaiting for the left caliper in the mail. I ordered new spring clips from MegaParts and I will get copper washers tomorrow. That will wrap up the front brakes.

Rear brakes will need a full rebuild as well and the hard line on the body needs a splice with a union to reattach the hose to the axle. I will eventually order brake line and armor to make my own line.

850EB0D2-2520-4ED7-A674-49CDBC9D9A0C.jpeg

Right side done. So the calipers are the same for Chargers, Coronets, Satellites, Challengers, Barracudas and D100s. Apparently when you order a left side for a Charger it is a right for an Imperial so I have to order a right for a Charger.

E704F399-A0F0-42FF-B059-2345D0111800.jpeg

I will be adding a factory type phenolic carb spacer to reduce fuel boiling next, the last issue I have with the engine is dieseling after shut off. I will be looking at transfer slots and idle speed.

On idle and transfer slots
Advance timing
My engines like 20 deg initial
But then you will have to restrict the total mechanical to 36 or 38 deg
Can use a distributor plate from 4seconds flat to set up distributor

I’m making my own trans cooler lines. For now I’m splitting them in half with a union. I would like to make new one piece lines later on.

For now I am practicing my tube making skills. I would like to offer 72-73 Imperial trans cooler lines one day.

On a side note I worked with Steele Rubber Products and got 1967-72 A-body 4-door sedan vent window and quarter glass seals reproduced!

Last edited:
Back