1972 New Yorker vs. NYer Brougham: A Vinyl Top Question (2dr)

Thanks a real lot. I have a bunch of questions, for example how did you/they account for the radiuses, do you have pictures of the installation process, and what happened to the old rear window molding?

The old top has not been removed yet....still waiting for SMS. Several months after receiving the bum top that was trimmed too short, they finally had UPS pick up the old top today. The radii aren't that big of a deal, the extra material should overlap liberally at each corner and fitted upon installation.

Geez, this isn't rocket surgery! Vinyl comes by the roll, cut, sew, and install. Sounds easy right? With experience and the right equipment it is. Legendary has both, which makes me wonder why they say they can't do it. At least you were lucky enough to get good customer service, we were recently discussing their inconsistencies in that area in an interior thread.

I plan on making my next one from scratch, because the factory A pillar seam drives me nuts! The reason it's there is simply to save material. I am aware it won't be "correct". It will be an improvement, in my eyes.

Yes. . .
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRRNw2m2XYVmsTQYWKLe-bC4eoum-4hTtl3Ow&usqp=CAU.jpg

Notwithstanding what their website states, however, a Legendary representative informed me that their Chrysler 2dr fuselage offerings end with the 1971's. She told me, furthermore, that the tops for the 2dr NYB and 2dr NYer differ in dimensions and sewing patterns -- something of which I was not aware.
I never did any research on this but this sounds improbable to me. First of all, if Legendary doesn't sell 1972 or 1973 two-door Chrysler tops, how does she know about the difference between 1972 NY and 1972 NYB two-door vinyl roofs in the first place?
The roof sheetmetal is the same between a NY and a NYB. And the vinyl roof trim also seems to be identical. so I don't see where the difference in dimensions would come from.
Perhaps the lady confused a NYB with an Imperial?

FWIW the same rear window is used on all 72 2 door Chrysler s from Newport to NYB.

upload_2020-6-24_18-57-44.png

The problem is that the 1972 uses Boar grain, while these guys offer only Levant and Elk vinyls. Still, it may be worth calling them to double-check. And, regardless, they might have an answer about cutting/dimensions/pattern.

Newstalgia also has buckskin vinyl tops, but again only in elk or levant grains. No boar there. I am also not sure that the “buckskin” color is “goldish” enough (as opposed to “tan-like”).

Dante's has the "correct boar" grain, but not in the color I need. They only offer white, black, and -- for an extra charge -- dark green, so I suspect that they source the tops from Legendary.

Last edited:
Newstalgia also has buckskin vinyl tops, but again only in elk or levant grains. No boar there.

Dante's has the "correct boar" grain, but not in the correct color (only white, black, and -- for an extra charge -- dark green).
On Maggie May We went with Newstalgia correct color in incorrect grain. Only youse guys here will know. To the general public at cruze nites and car shows they wont know the difference.

Last edited:
I talked at length today with Kevin at Kent Auto Upholstery in Indianapolis - the place recommended by @david hill. Given the information outlined above, and the fact that I do not want to wait forever for this top, he recommended that (1) I order material from SMS so that (2) he can then manufacture it.

FWIW, SMS failed to deliver the samples I’d requested in June, but following an email reminder earlier this week, they are now promising to deliver them ASAP so I that can check in color and grain and proceed with ordering. I’ll post pics and impressions after I get them.

Last edited:
Back