1972 Plymouth Fury III. Power Steering valve body O-rings

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Pulled the valve body from the steering box to replace the o-rings..
I had bought the assortment pack from Harbor Freight. The larger O-ring was a good match but the two smaller ones didn't have a match there.. I tried some that fit but seemed too thin, though they extended a small amount above the deck,,. I tried them and it leaks.. on my way to Home depot and the auto parts to see if I can get a match...
The old ones were quite flattened but fit so exactly into place that I am wondering if they weren't more like flat seals than O-rings...
Anyway, anyone happen to have an exact size? I have seen them online (expensive) but I'm trying to get this done today so other ideas are welcome please

20181216_112442.jpg

20181216_112437.jpg

20181216_114225.jpg

I had bought the assortment pack from Harbor Freight. The larger O-ring was a good match but the two smaller ones didn't have a match there.. I tried some that fit but seemed too thin, though they extended a small amount above the deck,,. I tried them and it leaks.. on my way to Home depot and the auto parts to see if I can get a match...
The old ones were quite flattened but fit so exactly into place that I am wondering if they weren't more like flat seals than O-rings...
Anyway, anyone happen to have an exact size? I have seen them online (expensive) but I'm trying to get this done today so other ideas are welcome please

View attachment 237668

View attachment 237669

View attachment 237670

If you have a NAPA store in your area, they usually have a pretty good selection of O-Rings.

Dave

View attachment 237668

View attachment 237669

View attachment 237670
Oh geez.... I went through this 2 yrs. ago. I suggest that you buy the expensive online set. Maybe contact firm feel or somebody. I installed some auto parts store O-rings (twice) and both sets started leaking within a few days. All O-rings are not created equal.

I had to assemble the unit....used two O-ring from the Harbor Freight Kit and resorted to Home Depot (perfect fit)...yes, I know I will order the right ones but for now I need to be able to move the car around without leaking so much...

I tried installing the valve body exactly on the previous marks but it spins the wheel... so here is what I did...
Pushed the VB all the way to the front of the car...the wheel goes very slightly left when I start the engine and that's it...but when I test drive I have no PS.
So I start tapping it ever so slightly towards the rear.. and then it spins to the right.. as I tap it a bit at a time, each time it spinss to the right...all the way through the range of motion...so I went back and forth a couple of times.... and now it seems no matter where I place it, except for all the way "back", the wheel spins almost violently to the right and the car won't steer...
I had read where this adjustment is a PITA and the adjustment can be painfully delicate...
It got late and I gave up for the night but I'm gonna try again after work...

Thoughts?
How can I tell if the VB has gone bad?
I was guessing maybe Forward was "right" and back was "left"... uuugh

Last edited:
The valve body is a simple piston with ports, it has some o-rings, if they are bad the valving will not function. Since it worked before you removed it, I suspect the problem is related to the positioning of the valve body. Take it back off and be sure the actuator pins for the valve body are in the recess in the piston. Start the adjustment at the center of the range of travel, it will usually not take more than about 1/16" movement one way or the other the center the steering wheel.

Dave

Take the aluminum piece and the old smashed orings to your local hydraulic hose store and they will get you a pair of quality o-rings in the right diameter and cross section.

As for the adjustment get the front wheels off the ground, make tiny movments in the position of the valve housing until the wheel stays straight with the engine running and the tires off the ground.

Back