For Sale 1973 Plymouth Fury I Police Car - $10000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such numbers are beyond my sensibilities.

I hear ya man. :).

For this one .. a car I like in a genre of vehicles I'm into .. those numbers work for me.

Fortunately, I lived through that phase in my life. and now I want a Big A** Bus :)

Minted out defeats the point of the car.

Anybody can produce a "perfect" police car, and they should when the car has already had a lame civilian paint job or is in terrible condition.

However, this car looks like the day it was taken out of some of the most severe service a police car will see... duty in a crime-ridden hellhole with terrible weather. (lol, just kidding Philly) But it sure ain't like getting a suntan with Ponch and John in LA.

Those minor dings and dents are battle scars. I would restore the car mechanically 100%. I'd attack the chips with Dremel, Rust Bullet and an airbrush. I'd hit the underside with a wire wheel, Rust Bullet and fresh undercoating/bedliner. The interior looks like it would clean up. I'd use some 1500/2000 on those primer spots to try and recover the orginal numbers. Then I'd probably clear it and search for the correct cop lights/radio.

Done. And all that should be done. Much more interesting to look at than a perfect restored car that probably didn't look as good on day one.

Now this is not the same approach I'd take on most cars. But this one is a slice of American history. Some people who rode in the back might now be considered for parole, lol.

I'd have to agree, especially since that underside is relatively clean of holes (pin holes don't count). I'm for preservation on this one. If the engine is good, maybe $3500 to get it to "show" quality.

I'd have to agree, especially since that underside is relatively clean of holes (pin holes don't count). I'm for preservation on this one. If the engine is good, maybe $3500 to get it to "show" quality.

Yes. This car is about a moment in time, not Galen Glovier approved spare tire air.

Looking on line for a shot of the whole car didn't reveal much, mostly Hill Street Blues New York City cars. Interesting, I didn't know Philly had red cop cars. I prefer the state cruisers of the era, but that '72 shows the color scheme well.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Minted out defeats the point of the car.

Anybody can produce a "perfect" police car, and they should when the car has already had a lame civilian paint job or is in terrible condition.

However, this car looks like the day it was taken out of some of the most severe service a police car will see... duty in a crime-ridden hellhole with terrible weather. (lol, just kidding Philly) But it sure ain't like getting a suntan with Ponch and John in LA.

Those minor dings and dents are battle scars. I would restore the car mechanically 100%. I'd attack the chips with Dremel, Rust Bullet and an airbrush. I'd hit the underside with a wire wheel, Rust Bullet and fresh undercoating/bedliner. The interior looks like it would clean up. I'd use some 1500/2000 on those primer spots to try and recover the orginal numbers. Then I'd probably clear it and search for the correct cop lights/radio.

Done. And all that should be done. Much more interesting to look at than a perfect restored car that probably didn't look as good on day one.

Now this is not the same approach I'd take on most cars. But this one is a slice of American history. Some people who rode in the back might now be considered for parole, lol.

I agree FULLY with both you guys. I will only do what has to be done .. in my opinion .. with these cars.

They ARE rolling American History .. honorable work was done using them, by fearless people working for peanuts compared to their value. I will stop lest I mount my soapbox :)

I just dont think THIS one can be "saved" that way .. i am more with bluefury361 on the starting point -- but would be ecstatic to be proven WRONG. :)

Last edited:
I agree FULLY with both you guys. I will only do what has to be done .. in my opinion .. with these cars.

They ARE rolling American History .. honorable work done by fearless people working for peanuts compared to their value. I will stop lest I mount my soapbox :)

I just dont think THIS one can be "saved" that way .. i am more with bluefury361 on the starting point -- but would be ecstatic to be proven WRONG.
:)

There are "edges" (like the bottom of the pinchweld) on the '69 Imperial that I purchased last year that looks very similar to this car. That Imp was stored in much the same way, somebody's dry but not climate-controlled (likely attached) garage. Looks terrible, but a little clean up with a wire wheel and all is well.

There are "edges" (like the bottom of the pinchweld) on the '69 Imperial that I purchased last year that looks very similar to this car. That Imp was stored in much the same way, somebody's dry but not climate-controlled (likely attached) garage. Looks terrible, but a little clean up with a wire wheel and all is well.

I do not doubt for a second that's what you did .. a combination of "good eye" at acquisition, then skill, patience, and elbow grease and your Imp was standing tall. :)

Nothing would please me more if this '73 Fury cop rig could be done that way, plus a few grand in mechanicals/detailing like samplingman said, and be back on the road and ready to "show".

perhaps that's what supports the seller's price expectation (though better pictures would help, its clearn he/she did try to present it fairly. kudos for that)?

If true, then folks like polara71 and wollfen have the right take on this car's asking price. I just hope somebody gets it and gets her back on the road.

Too bad we didn't get these cop cars right after they were taken out of service.

Neat find and thanks for posting the link. It does look pretty rough in those pics to me, especially at that asking price. It would be cool to see in person, hopefully somebody can step up and save it.

Dave

I actually like the car and hope it will land in the hands of a person who will appreciate and respect it for what it is.
But ...... I seriously question the notion that it is valued anywhere near 10K as is.

A Philly city cop car will only appeal to a small segment of folks, (nostalgic). But if it were a PA state police car it would be a whole different scenario.

QUOTE="Samplingman, post: 457929, member: 1192"]:rofl:[/QUOTE]

For sh*t's sake, I'm glad somebody finally got it! :lol:

I suppose living through the news broadcasts and the time it's not a big deal to me.

That car will be there a lot longer unless he comes to his senses on the price. It needs a lot of work to even get it road worthy. The brake lines along the body are a mess! With no air moving under it because of the all the junk packed around it and the bare concrete floor, it must have be pretty damp under there in the spring time. What's up with the steering wheel. Looks like it was in a flood, there is mold everywhere, why is there so much rust on the screws holding the door latch. Rust around the drivers window frame. Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back