1974 New Yorker 2dr.

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have decided to begin the restore of my 1974 New Yorker. Bought last summer, was on its way to be crushed. Body is in pretty good condition w/ the exception of some rust through of both front fenders in the exact same spot. Have confirmed the body was undercoated early in its life. Inspection of the front fenders shows no undercoating in both spots pictured. If anyone has fenders w/ no damage in these areas please respond. Would like to score some less desirable fenders and cut out patch panels. Another is the vinyl roof, did inspect at time of purchase and roof metal under damage vinyl is rock solid. Has anyone replaced a padded vinyl roof before. Have installed conventional vinyl tops before. I have never done a padded c body top before. If other members have done this I need your in put. Help w/ where to purchase padding and materials as well as install tips will be most appreciated.

20180206_174924.jpg

20180206_174911.jpg

20180206_174847.jpg

20180206_174835.jpg

I have the exact same car as you, although mine is a 75.. I have the same Top issue as well. I used this guy:

Kevin Tamblyn

Original Auto Interiors

7869 Trumble Rd.

Columbus, Mi 48063

They sell the OE material w/padding you’ll need, they’ll also sew the OE Double stitch seam down the middle for I think it was $245 for mine.. You’ll need 4 yds of material.. it’s best to have a local upholstery shop do the removal and installation of the top IMO.. because the windshield and top moldings need special care when being removed. The headliner will need to come out as well to access the fasteners for the chrome strip over the roof that separates the vinyl and the painted roof.. you need a body shop to do the roof repairs for the rust.. unless your really handy with that type of work. Keep us posted as you progress plz. With pictures of course..

Here’s a picture of my roof, same, although I haven’t started to roof work due to the repair costs, gotta save for it a bit longer. But I have everything lined up with I’m ready..
63A1A361-2760-4996-9240-431DE5793836.jpeg

BC938491-6990-4ED7-914D-FA2D8F5B2741.jpeg

do you have any tips on how to remove the molding surrounding both doors
If you pull the rubber seals off the top you will find screws that hold the molding in place. The rubber seals are not glued in but be careful removing them anyway since they don't make any replacements. Unless You've removed the windshield surround mornings before, I would recommend having a professional do it. They have the tools and know how. And they're insured, if they mess up.. IMO

I also noticed in one of your pictures that your front seats seem to be trashed. I just had my driver side recovered last week. If you want details on that let me know ?

I have the exact same car as you, although mine is a 75.. I have the same Top issue as well. I used this guy:

Kevin Tamblyn

Original Auto Interiors

7869 Trumble Rd.

Columbus, Mi 48063

They sell the OE material w/padding you’ll need, they’ll also sew the OE Double stitch seam down the middle for I think it was $245 for mine.. You’ll need 4 yds of material.. it’s best to have a local upholstery shop do the removal and installation of the top IMO.. because the windshield and top moldings need special care when being removed. The headliner will need to come out as well to access the fasteners for the chrome strip over the roof that separates the vinyl and the painted roof.. you need a body shop to do the roof repairs for the rust.. unless your really handy with that type of work. Keep us posted as you progress plz. With pictures of course..
I just checked and the business is closed due to retirement. He’s referring all visitors to SMS.

I just checked and the business is closed due to retirement. He’s referring all visitors to SMS.
Just what SMS needs. Even more business.

BTW, you do understand that you have to remove the interior to get at the nuts that hold this trim on, right?

PicsArt_02-07-10.01.13.jpg

Last edited:
Finding donor fenders for both front fenders this been going to be the hardest part nothing to apologize for I'm good

Finding donor fenders for both front fenders this been going to be the hardest part nothing to apologize for I'm good
There is a member here parting out a four-door I believe the same year as yours but he lives way south of you. If you’re willing to cover shipping, he may work with you.

Maybe one of our members to know who this is can leave me a post so I know who to contact that would sure be appreciated for my end

Maybe one of our members to know who this is can leave me a post so I know who to contact that would sure be appreciated for my end
Let me reach out to him and see if in fact he has any, and if he does is he willing to ship them. With them being large parts, most people don’t want to deal with shipping things that size.

Back