1976 New Yorker horn question

Lovecbodies

Reaction score
I just bought a 1976 2 door Chrysler New Yorker with a standard steering wheel, no tilt or periscoping wheel. The car seems to have two horns under the hood, does anyone know how to activate these? The manual says nothing and pushing on parts of the wheel do not activate the horn. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

here is the wheel

IMG_0473.JPG

Steering wheel button grounds the relay, sending power to horns. Find the relay ground it and horns should blow then your problem is in the column/steering wheel. No blow- check fuse, relay, wiring, and of course the horns themselves.

Thanks, which part of the wheel is supposed to activate the horn? Center cap does not do this and the three little rubber strip areas don't push in much to me. I thought maybe there was something else possibly to activate the horn with this style of steering wheel. I know the telescoping I've had before was activated just by pushing the center part of the wheel.

three little rubber strip areas
The horn contacts are in the three spokes. Unlock the steering wheel, and turn the wheel side to side while pressing on the spoke/contacts. This will tell you if the contact in the wheel needs cleaning.

Do yourself a favor first and put a test light or meter at the horn and press the wheel. I have seen both horns go bad at the same time.

Yeah drove my fair share of cabover **** speaders to enjoy that lanyard. The all metal interior ensures that the driver does not survive to contradict the DOT assement of the accident.

Back