1976 NYB R2 To Sanden Compressor Conversion.

@cantflip
That is one thing I like about the Charger Nate and I are doing, I'm being respectful of the original designs and look but I'm upgrading everything eventually to modernize the car.
You know I'm really looking forward to the day you bring her to Carlisle Garlits... and I can't wait to start asking him about the car. I just want to watch that look of owner pride come over his face while he rattles off the details of the experience. Maybe November will work out this year:thumbsup:

I am betting that the remaining manufacturers of remanufactured R2 compressors are are seeing cores come in for their third tour of duty.
Bingo... considering how much of the system that has to be thrown away when one has a tragic failure... I am feeling more inclined to trust the old working units more than the remans... I have one reman on hand, and I am not sure if I believe it will work as good as the 2 I have that haven't been opened.

You know I'm really looking forward to the day you bring her to Carlisle Garlits... and I can't wait to start asking him about the car. I just want to watch that look of owner pride come over his face while he rattles off the details of the experience. Maybe November will work out this year:thumbsup:
I think we are making it to the Nats with it in 2 weeks. If it cruises half as good as I have designed it to it will definitely be at Carlisle. The Gartils show will be me and my truck so you will have to wait for Carlisle to grill him.

This thread needs a final update. I gotta speak my piece about this issue.

I have been giving the A/C a major torture test for a week now.
The stats:
South-central Florida!
Late July.
93-96°F. and high humidity.
Mid-day full sun.
Stop n go local traffic.

This thing cranks out the BTU's! I am pleased as punch. Please, just do it. I understand the originality thing. But in 2017 the argument carries little weight unless your car is intended to be a like-new, as-delivered, project. Yes. I get it.
In the other 95% of the cases, this is the only way to go. The BPE brackets make it a no-brainer. I heard horror stories about alignment and interference but it just isn't so. I have no idea why so many people had issues.

I spent a ton of money. Here's the definitive installation. Yours may vary.
1. New modern style parallel flow condensor. DIY brackets.
2. Pusher fan(s). Two in this case. DIY brackets.
3. Custom Barrier hoses.
4. New OEM dryer.
5. New OEM Expansion valve.
6. New compressor. Note on compressors: Bouchelon sells the Sanden 133 cu. in. compressor. For the same money, I went internet and bought a 155 cu. in. compressor that is OEM in big trucks. Be aware most of the compressors on ebay and auto sites are "Sanden style" Chinese clones. It's up to you.
7. BPE bracket kit. #4700 in my case.
8. Tinted windows.

Last night I had to turn the temperature up. That was a first. All is goid. Don't consider it. Just do it if you live down south or you do major cruising. :thumbsup:

Thanks Stan.

If you could....

Please post the part numbers and vendors for the compressor and brackets.

I replaced my condenser (California vendor listed below) with one that bolted right in and works great.

sales@accondenserstore.com

Royal Monaco: Dodge Royal P3333026 1 199.95
Monaco 1977-1977 A/C
Condenser

2. Pusher fan(s). Two in this case. DIY brackets.

I tried the pusher fans and gave up on them. I didn't see that they made a big difference in the A/C and they made no difference at all in cooling the engine... In fact, they seem to limit the air flow and I took them out after going to the HD fan clutch.

6. New compressor. Note on compressors: Bouchelon sells the Sanden 133 cu. in. compressor. For the same money, I went internet and bought a 155 cu. in. compressor that is OEM in big trucks. Be aware most of the compressors on ebay and auto sites are "Sanden style" Chinese clones. It's up to you.

Wow.... I knew about the Chinese copies... In fact, Boucelon talked me into buying one from them. I wasn't going to, but they were so helpful with everything else that I felt obligated. I didn't know there were larger versions though....

When (if) I get my butt going on my '53 Windsor, an A/C retrofit was part of the plan. Now I'm thinking that I may buy the larger compressor for my 300 and move the smaller one to the Windsor.

EDIT: I said 155 cu. in. earlier. That should have read cc's
If you could....
Please post the part numbers and vendors for the compressor and brackets.
:thumbsup:

http://www.discountacparts.com

PicsArt_07-30-06.26.05.jpg

BPE A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket KIT - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

PicsArt_07-30-06.29.11.jpg

I tried the pusher fans and gave up on them. I didn't see that they made a big difference in the A/C and they made no difference at all in cooling the engine... In fact, they seem to limit the air flow and I took them out after going to the HD fan clutch.
Almost all my driving is local. A lot of stop n go.

PicsArt_07-30-06.44.25.jpg

Last edited:
Late signup, thanks for a great thread. I'm reading all the A/C conversion stuff before I do mine.

@commando1 , I am working on my conversion now and got a lot of great info from your threads. Just checking back after a couple of years to see if everything is still working and if you may have any additional thoughts or advice.

@commando1 , I am working on my conversion now and got a lot of great info from your threads. Just checking back after a couple of years to see if everything is still working and if you may have any additional thoughts or advice.
Just about everything got covered. The only additional thought is, I should've done it sooner.

Just about everything got covered. The only additional thought is, I should've done it sooner.
Glad to hear it. We have already brushed 100 a few time here in DFW so I sure have my fingers crossed that it works for me.

I went with the Sanden conversion as part of my serpentine conversion. It worked great!
20181116_100440.jpg

Back