1976 NYB R2 To Sanden Compressor Conversion.

I think it will be OK. You may need to add a spacer at the rear of the water pump "ear" to make up for the P/S bracket not wrapping around it.

It should mount to one of the bolts that hold the extender bracket.
Can you take the picture a little more to the rear to see behind original A/C bracket.
Need to see area above your circle looking a little bit forward.
Not quite sure which angle you are asking for. One of these?

PicsArt_07-17-04.49.13.jpg
PicsArt_07-17-04.49.56.jpg
PicsArt_07-17-04.50.32.jpg
PicsArt_07-17-04.51.26.jpg

Last edited:
OK, then. The PS bracket on my 76 doesn't even come close in contact with the the BPE bracket, then.
I can have my beer, now. Thanks.
Installation tomorrow ☺️.

PicsArt_07-17-06.24.21.jpg

I've been studying the pics and I'm not sure if the bracket for the p/s extends up and mounts under the old a/c compressor bracket. If it does, you should be good to mount the new bracket on top... If it doesn't, you may need to put a spacer in there.

I've been studying the pics and I'm not sure if the bracket for the p/s extends up and mounts under the old a/c compressor bracket. If it does, you should be good to mount the new bracket on top... If it doesn't, you may need to put a spacer in there.
No it doesn't, John. The P. S. bracket attaches to the water pump housing immediately next to it.

It's going to be such a pleasure to get rid of that boat anchor compressor and it's Rube Goldberg bracketry.

You will have to spacer it like Big John mentioned but it will bolt right on that high boss on the water pump housing.
You know the one it takes 2 cut off wheels on a 4 1/2" grinder to cut off when elephant ear mounting a big block in a A body, along with having it milled .250 to realign the pulleys.

Mission accomplished.

The good news:
The conversion is a pc. of cake.
Remove old compressor and brackets.
Install new compressor and brackets. It literally falls into place. No shimming. No adjustments. Just bolt the suckah on.
Almost much ado about nothing.
Even uses the same belts.
The engine idles much, much smoother. Less mass dragging on it.

The not so good news:
It's not noticeably colder than my old R2 compressor. My old A/C system worked well for me but I was hoping to have Meat Locker cold. Not the case.
So, I spent a lot of money and didn't get a lot for it. Well, everything is 100% updated now so for that I am happy.

Installation notes:
1. The BPE Kit comes with four (4) 3/8 x 2" bolts. Two of them need to be replaced by 2-1/2" bolts.
2. You will need a separate throttle return spring bracket.

I highly recommend the Sanden with the Bouchelon bracket. It's a brainless conversion. If your old compressor craps the bed, go the Sanden route.

PicsArt_07-24-04.03.01.jpg
PicsArt_07-24-04.03.39.jpg
PicsArt_07-24-04.05.16.jpg
PicsArt_07-24-04.06.27.jpg
PicsArt_07-24-04.07.47.jpg

Last edited:
We all knew you could do it! Good job. Did you charge it with the same amount of 134 freon as you would R12?

Back