1976 NYB R2 To Sanden Compressor Conversion.

How did I miss this thread...:BangHead:

Nice work Stan... Please don't turn the old compressor into an artificial reef just yet... I'm planning to stay stock appearance until it no longer makes sense to do so...:)

I thought you painted the new rad black??

Good job on the conversion!! Still waiting to hook mine all up.

You used the old factory H block, and all??

I need to track down a factory set of h block tubing to the compressor, and dryer for mine...

When can I drop it off?? :D

Nice work Stan... Please don't turn the old compressor into an artificial reef just yet... I'm planning to stay stock appearance until it no longer makes sense to do so...:)
You were too busy taking inventory of your vacation bonanza. lol
Sorry. 32 seconds after posting (may have been less than that) Mario called dibs on the compressor. Hmmm... what else do I have I can dump off on you? :lol:

I thought you painted the new rad black??

Good job on the conversion!! Still waiting to hook mine all up.

You used the old factory H block, and all??

I need to track down a factory set of h block tubing to the compressor, and dryer for mine...

When can I drop it off?? :D
I fretted unnecessarily over this project. The compressor is literally plug n play.
The hoses were another story. Very EXPENSIVE :eek:
What's an H-block? lol. The Expansion Valve is still the OEM style on the firewall. I put in a new one (as well as a new drier). Those damn things are a POS. Constantly get clogged. I think I'm on #4 now.

PicsArt_07-25-08.39.57.jpg
PicsArt_07-25-08.38.59.jpg

Last edited:
Commando,

Thanks for documenting this swap so well! I gotta get my but in gear on mine!

The old compressor was using R134 also so I can't answer that.

My understanding is that an R12 system converted to 134 will deliver the correct operating pressures with less weight of R134 installed. If you installed the R12 spec'd weight it might be slightly overcharged which can affect how the system performs.

I don't know what the optimum suction and high pressure specs are for R134 but that's what a few A/C gurus I know use instead of weight when retrofitting an R12 system and it always takes less weight to hit them.

Kevin

I totally missed this thread too. Stan: You are my hero. I'm planning to do the same upgrade to my '66 convertible.

Stan, nice work, as always great documentation.

Did you pull a really good vacuum on your system before recharging?
With a smaller system, even getting a lines worth of air can keep it from cooling to peak efficiency.
Not sure what the internal displacement of the new compressor is compared to the old one, but, it should be smaller.If the system was charged by refrigerant weight alone, you are going to be running a higher pressure, with a higher evaporator temp.

Also,unrelated, what are your thoughts on the cooling efficiency of your aluminum radiator compared to the original?
Did you go with more core rows on the new rad?

Stan, I do not want poach Jeff's compressor if he called it first...
Oops. Sorry guys. :( Too late. I just got back from dropping it off at UPS. Didn't know there was going to be a Battle Royale for an R2. lol. Trucker Dave says he has plenty in stock.

@65Fury440
Did you pull a really good vacuum on your system before recharging?
With a smaller system, even getting a lines worth of air can keep it from cooling to peak efficiency.
Pulled a vacuum for an hour. Sucked everything out going back to 1976. lol

Not sure what the internal displacement of the new compressor is compared to the old one, but, it should be smaller.If the system was charged by refrigerant weight alone, you are going to be running a higher pressure, with a higher evaporator temp.
Charging was done by pumping in R134a until the outlet temp. at the vent wouldn't get any lower. 42° vs the 48° the R2 cranked out. So I can't say how many lbs. of refrigerant it took. I don't do the pressure guage thingy. (that should freak Jeff out :p)
PicsArt_07-25-01.45.48.jpg

Also,unrelated, what are your thoughts on the cooling efficiency of your aluminum radiator compared to the original?
Did you go with more core rows on the new rad?
I went with a 3 row. I'd say the cooling efficiency improved but the only thing I can compare it to was the old original radiator. How the Champion would compare to a new OEM radiator I can't say.

Last edited:
You were too busy taking inventory of your vacation bonanza. lol
Sorry. 32 seconds after posting (may have been less than that) Mario called dibs on the compressor. Hmmm... what else do I have I can dump off on you? :lol:

1976 NYB... and you could store it and exercise it for me... think of it as a reverse mortgage:rolleyes:.
Stan, I do not want poach Jeff's compressor if he called it first...
No worries my friend... it would have been a shelf item... just didn't want to see a fresh take off go to scrap.
I have a 1/2 dozen if you want one.
Maybe for next year's "shipment":lol:

Let me know. I had 2 clutches go bad and went on a RV2 collecting spee. $10-20 was normal price.
Cool... I am currently planning to run RV2's until I can't get them reasonably anymore on the Imperials... the NYB will resurrect with a Sanden I'm thinking.

This will all be subject to change once I start having problems keeping RV2's operating. At the moment I have 2 that work and one that should work...

There is not much that goes wrong with them. What the hell are you guys doing to them?
I have my doubts about the current/future quality of remans... I don't foresee them getting any better and I do foresee the "restoration" crowd eventually (or even currently) pushing up the prices for "correctness"...

For me, "correctness" is out the window as soon as I decide something else has hit "more practical". My only reason for not tinting the glass is potential PA travel... So once I decide to change over to a new aluminum radiator and condenser... all bets will be off for the rest of the system. BTW I have a Champion scratch and dent $90 investment waiting for the day.

@cantflip
That is one thing I like about the Charger Nate and I are doing, I'm being respectful of the original designs and look but I'm upgrading everything eventually to modernize the car.

Back