1978 LeBaron 4 speed

DCMC

Reaction score
This car is listed on Craigslist and I'm afraid if I go to look at it I'll buy it. I don't need another car but it maybe the only one and I'm a sucker for the unusual. It was listed in Barn Find Nation web site a year ago and it sold for $2250.00. Anybody have any numbers as how many were built this way? It comes up in North Jersey, and Allentown Craigslist.

Buy it.... it has a t bar roof also..... that car is extremely unusual. ..... looks nice too. I love it

Never in a million years would I have guessed something like this existed.

They used the same A833 OD trans as the Aspen/Volare'. The four-speed was relatively common on the Aspen/Volare', but very rare on the LeBaron. I've seen one, and that was back in '78 when my Dad was working as a saleman for the local C-P-D dealer. A guy came in and ordered a four-speed in a solid blue, no-T-top car. Arrived about ten weeks later. A very nice LeBaron coupe!

They used the same A833 OD trans as the Aspen/Volare'. The four-speed was relatively common on the Aspen/Volare', but very rare on the LeBaron.

yep.

Aspen Volare (F body), M Body (Diplomat), and Mirada/Cordoba (J Body) all essentially same car under the skin. That's how I did my 1980 Mirada 4 speed manual conversion, using F body pedals, OD manual trans, and steering column, etc., and taking HD suspension/brakes from a 87 Diplomat police car. turned out kinda neat.

didnt know the late 70's LeBaron could be had with a manual, but doesnt surprise me.

good info patrick66.

I'm confused. The way the chart reads, the 4 SPD was available only with the /6-1 because it says V8s had the mandatory (? Wtf) optional TorqueFlite.

PoI9e4z.jpg

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I'm confused. The way the chart reads, the 4 SPD was available only with the /6-1 because it says V8s had the mandatory (? Wtf) optional TorqueFlite.

hmm.. the plot thickens.

perhaps its explained by that "wild west" environment in the 70's wjere a lotta things got built where brochures said different, OR the brochures were out-of-date by the time model year ended, or the dealer did it after delivery?

so yeah, the table looks a bit odd.. a "required option" is non-sensical unless it means "requires" extra cost but you could still get an OD manual with an optional engine at NO extra cost for the manual tranny?

its still a cool car though i think.

PoI9e4z.jpg

Posted via Topify on Android

I read this as the TorqueFlite was an extra cost option. I suppose the Standard trans was the OD 4 Sped.

Here. This betterer...

78-LeBaron_0011.jpg

If you ordered the 318, you got the 4 SPD. and paid for just the 318.
If you wanted the automatic and a 318, you paid for both.

Last edited:
Like I said I'm 45 min away, if somebody else buys it it's out of my mind! Can be seen on Barn Find Nation with video and pic of under hood. I have talked to John twice and he is mediocre on mopars, but knows he has something rare. Rusted brake line in back so needs to be fixed and bled on spot or towed. On Barn Find Nation viewers mentioned rust in quarters, I don't know if that's Northeast rust or southwest rust. Also has more pics under hood on there. I'm coming down from 3 days of the flu, my girlfriend is on the uprise of the flu, (she told me to buy it!) but if anyone wants a first hand opinion I will will contact the owner and look at it and resist buying it. Or if you are close go look, once it is gone temptation is past!

Back