1978 NYB New Engine.....

This whole project took almost 8 months. Although I had to wait 3 months on the engine builder.....it was definitely worth the wait.

I'm already planning a trip for this spring on Skyline Drive (north to south) and then jumping on the Blue Ridge Parkway with the NYB.

I'm already planning a trip for this spring on Skyline Drive (north to south) and then jumping on the Blue Ridge Parkway with the NYB.

Bob: That would be a great road trip. I did that trip on a motorcycle several years ago. Plan an overnight stay at Blowing Rock, NC. Also, the Lodge at Peaks of Otter is another good stop along the way.

Bob: That would be a great road trip. I did that trip on a motorcycle several years ago. Plan an overnight stay at Blowing Rock, NC. Also, the Lodge at Peaks of Otter is another good stop along the way.

I was also thinking of taking the Dixie Hwy (29) on the way back north to Maryland.

I've been wanting to take this drive since I retired from the Army in 1996. I was actually hired by my new employer 6 months before I retired from the Army so I didn't have any down time between careers. I was going to do the drive 2 years ago with 2 of my cousins and they were ran over on their motorcycles from a felon fleeing in a stolen car from as robbery. At the same time I got sick and was in the hospital for a month and a half.

I was also thinking of taking the Dixie Hwy (29) on the way back north to Maryland.

Bob: US Route 29 is a huge pain in the arse - especially around Charlottesville and Warrenton. Instead, hop off of Rt. 29 just north of Lynchburg onto State Route 6 west and follow it to US 250 West, then over the mountain into Waynesboro, VA. Hang a right on US 340 north and take it all the way to Harpers Ferry, WV. On the way, there is a great little restaurant at Rippon named "John's - My Pappy's Place." Continue on US 340 all the way to Frederick, MD, and then go east toward your home from there. This route features beautiful scenery, good roads and not much traffic

Blowing Rock????
0BE5E1F4-9243-44C0-B008-8A10992EC4C1.jpeg

I've been wanting to take this drive since I retired from the Army in 1996. I was actually hired by my new employer 6 months before I retired from the Army so I didn't have any down time between careers. I was going to do the drive 2 years ago with 2 of my cousins and they were ran over on their motorcycles from a felon fleeing in a stolen car from as robbery. At the same time I got sick and was in the hospital for a month and a half.

Dayum, Bob! You are definitely due for road trip!

Dang, I'm screenshooting all of these tips. It's going to be hell of roadtrip!

Thank You!!!

:thumbsup::usflag::thumbsup:

Bob: US Route 29 is a huge pain in the arse - especially around Charlottesville and Warrenton. Instead, hop off of Rt. 29 just north of Lynchburg onto State Route 6 west and follow it to US 250 West, then over the mountain into Waynesboro, VA. Hang a right on US 340 north and take it all the way to Harpers Ferry, WV. On the way, there is a great little restaurant at Rippon named "John's - My Pappy's Place." Continue on US 340 all the way to Frederick, MD, and then go east toward your home from there. This route features beautiful scenery, good roads and not much traffic

I was near Harpers Ferry a number of years ago. We had an ordnance mission down there. Only for a day but saw a lot of Civil War stuff.

I was near Harpers Ferry a number of years ago. We had an ordnance mission down there. Only for a day but saw a lot of Civil War stuff.

Yes. Harper's Ferry is a very interesting place. Also, note that the US 340 route travels through the Shenandoah Valley, which is full of civil war history and locations.

Depending on how far south you plan on taking the Blue Ridge, you can take it into Maggie Valley where they have the Wheel Through Time motorcycle museum - Home - Wheels Through Time The place has been shown on TV and I was just there with my brother. Nothing but American iron from the early 1900's to present. You will be there a couple of hours if you like a good museum. Incredible collection and lots of history - many one of a kind motorcycles. Closed now until April.
From there follow Hwy 19 a short distance to Hwy 441North to Gatlinburg (about 45minutes -1hour up and down a scenic mountainous road. Gatlinburg downtown main street is probably about 1 mile or less crammed with novelty stores on each side of the street and alleyways, Ripley's Aquarium, Cooters Place (Dukes of Hazzard Museum), Hollywood Star Cars Museum, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Skylift, Whiskey Distillery, Moonshine tasting, Wine, Ober Gatlinburg Tramway, mini golf, adventure rides, food places (No Way Jose Cantina is my favorite), candy shops, and more. You can get a hotel downtown or even rent a cabin if inclined to do so. Best times are spring and fall as prices go up during the heavy tourist months. I live 3 hours away, so I drive in and then pay $10 for all day parking downtown rather than try and hunt for a free spot. Lot of people if you like to people watch.

Depending on how far south you plan on taking the Blue Ridge, you can take it into Maggie Valley where they have the Wheel Through Time motorcycle museum - Home - Wheels Through Time The place has been shown on TV and I was just there with my brother. Nothing but American iron from the early 1900's to present. You will be there a couple of hours if you like a good museum. Incredible collection and lots of history - many one of a kind motorcycles. Closed now until April.
From there follow Hwy 19 a short distance to Hwy 441North to Gatlinburg (about 45minutes -1hour up and down a scenic mountainous road. Gatlinburg downtown main street is probably about 1 mile or less crammed with novelty stores on each side of the street and alleyways, Ripley's Aquarium, Cooters Place (Dukes of Hazzard Museum), Hollywood Star Cars Museum, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Skylift, Whiskey Distillery, Moonshine tasting, Wine, Ober Gatlinburg Tramway, mini golf, adventure rides, food places (No Way Jose Cantina is my favorite), candy shops, and more. You can get a hotel downtown or even rent a cabin if inclined to do so. Best times are spring and fall as prices go up during the heavy tourist months. I live 3 hours away, so I drive in and then pay $10 for all day parking downtown rather than try and hunt for a free spot. Lot of people if you like to people watch.

Thanks. This is going to be one hell of a cruise.

April should be a good target date for me too.

This FB post reminds me of something just can’t put my finger on it though...

Don’t know Ty Rone either....:poke:
D446C69F-BD59-4CA3-927E-6477332203F6.jpeg

Thanks for reminding me why I don't post pictures of my cars on FB.

Ty Rone has a sweet NYB though.

Back