1978 NYB New Engine.....

I really enjoyed driving the NYB this week with the warm weather we have had this week. It got well in the 70's yesterday and I had some problems with vapor lock.

No problem....I had to order a few parts from Summit to adapt and overcome the vapor lock. The temps were pretty cool last fall when I finished the build.

Holley has a Quick Fuel Insulator Kit that is basically a shield that goes between the intake and the carb. Even though Formals have a ton of room under the hood I'm pushing the limit with the Performer RPM Eddie intake. I should be able to get this kit to work and not mess with the hood.

Quick Fuel Quick Cool Carburetor Insulator Kits 300-4013QFT

qft-300-4013_xl.jpg

Big block Mopar's dissipate a huge amount of heat from the exhaust manifolds and the engine in general and I'm also going to wrap the fuel lines fom the fuel pump to the carb with Summit fuel line heat tape. If this doesn't work I'll sleeve the fuel line with a heat barrier sleeve. Let's try the easy way first.

Summit Racing® Heat Tape SUM-350122

sum-350122_xl.jpg

I don't want to use a 1/2" or bigger spacer between the carb and manifold because I would have to go with a 6 pack hood scoop.

If anyone has a better solution to overcome vapor lock please let me know.

Thanks!

I'm concerned with hood height. I think shielding the fuel bowls with that kit might do the trick.

I'll have to test for hood clearance and see if I can add a spacer if the kit isnt enough to counter the vapor lock.

Last chance, Brother Bob. May never have another opportunity to have a real cold air induction. A Shaker would really eff people up.

Your still running a mechanical fuel pump aren't you? A electric pump at the tank pushing fuel would help also. I am not sure about the room you have near the tank though.

Last chance, Brother Bob. May never have another opportunity to have a real cold air induction. A Shaker would really eff people up.
Your still running a mechanical fuel pump aren't you? A electric pump at the tank pushing fuel would help also. I am not sure about the room you have near the tank though.

We'll see. Let me see if the parts I have on the way fixes the problem first.

I had an interesting conversation with a 5 year old at the gas station Friday when I was filling up the NYB. The kid ran up to me and said my Grandpa wants to now how much do I want for the car. I told him it wasn't for sale and then I said wait a second... tell him $50,000. I told him to wait a second again and I asked him where was his grandpa. He pointed over to the front of the Royal Farms and a guy in his 80's was standing there with a cane. I walked over to him and said hello. He said he bought a 78 NYB brand new in Baltimore and said it was his favorite car. He got a great deal on buying the car because no one wanted the big gas guzzlers anymore. He said he could definitely tell my NYB wasn't stock when I rolled in to to the gas station. I popped the hood and he noticed I didn't have the Lean Burn anymore. I laughed my *** off!

I had an interesting conversation with a 5 year old at the gas station Friday when I was filling up the NYB. The kid ran up to me and said my Grandpa wants to now how much do I want for the car. I told him it wasn't for sale and then I said wait a second... tell him $50,000. I told him to wait a second again and I asked him where was his grandpa. He pointed over to the front of the Royal Farms and a guy in his 80's was standing there with a cane. I walked over to him and said hello. He said he bought a 78 NYB brand new in Baltimore and said it was his favorite car. He got a great deal on buying the car because no one wanted the big gas guzzlers anymore. He said he could definitely tell my NYB wasn't stock when I rolled in to to the gas station. I popped the hood and he noticed I didn't have the Lean Burn anymore. I laughed my *** off!
That was all he noticed...
:rofl:

Very good of you to indulge the fella's curiosity. :thumbsup:

Back