1978 NYB New Engine.....

I occasionally get "Oh my buddy has a 383 Stroker". Then I simply say, mine is a Chrysler big block, and leave it at that.

If it indeed is vapor lock 0 the best permanent solution is a return style fuel system. Can be done on Holley or Carter-based carbs, and IMO best design is an in-line electric fuel pump. That being said - in 30+ years of running and working on these I've never seen a condition that was actually vapor lock. Even in the high 90s for temps, and the 10% ethanol fuel in CT. It's more than likely not vapor lock. Check and/or raise the float levels by 1/16", and verify fuel pressure at the carb inlet is 5psi-7psi. Also remember carbureted vehicles should routinely have the carb tuned seasonally, and rebuilt every couple years as regular maintenance to keep them at peak performance.

If it indeed is vapor lock 0 the best permanent solution is a return style fuel system. Can be done on Holley or Carter-based carbs, and IMO best design is an in-line electric fuel pump. That being said - in 30+ years of running and working on these I've never seen a condition that was actually vapor lock. Even in the high 90s for temps, and the 10% ethanol fuel in CT. It's more than likely not vapor lock. Check and/or raise the float levels by 1/16", and verify fuel pressure at the carb inlet is 5psi-7psi. Also remember carbureted vehicles should routinely have the carb tuned seasonally, and rebuilt every couple years as regular maintenance to keep them at peak performance.

My engine has 400 miles total on it. Everything is new. The engine was dyno'd with my Holley Quick Fuel 750 carb on it. Primary jets 74, secondary jets 84. Developed 450 hp at 6000 rpm's. Ran great! No need to rebuild anything. Holley performance carbs have a few adjustments and I'm happy with the adjustments that I have made. I have been building and tuning engines for 50 years. The problem is vapor lock and I'll mitigate it with the heat barrier wrap on the fuel lines and the Holley carb insulator and spacer kit. The electric fuel pump route would be a last resort. I'm sure that I can mitigate the vapor lock without the electric fuel pump. I'll let everyone know the results.

I do have a fuel presure guage. New fuel pump maintains 7 psi.

20181013_093024.jpg

Well, I have a 1/4" to 3/8" left under the hood. I need a 1/2".

Maybe K&N have a shorter height oval filter. I have to do some research. I dont want to restrict the air flow if I dont have to. I really like that air cleaner assembly. Dang it!

Modify the hood somehow.....

Also have to modify the vacuum tree on the manifold. Maybe a 90° elbow that will take the vacuum tree from a vertical position to a horizontal position so it clears the carb insulator plate.

Dang it.....I'm really bummed about this whole mess!!!!

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

20181013_093024.jpg

20180915_123637.jpg

Can the air cleaner base be modified to drop closer to the carb? I doubt they make a drop base for that style of filter.

Can the air cleaner base be modified to drop closer to the carb? I doubt they make a drop base for that style of filter.
I was thinking of the air cleaner base too, can it be stretched down using a dolly and a hammer?

I was thinking of the air cleaner base too, can it be stretched down using a dolly and a hammer?
From the pic's it looks like it's cast aluminum. We cut a similar one apart for a customer to make it fit inside his shaker scoop on his 74 GTO. The car had the scoop mounted to the hood so it didn't shake anymore. It got the TIG to put it back together.

I might have to reroute the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. Too close to the aluminum water pump housing, aluminum head, and exhaust. The serpentine system takes up a lot of space too.

20181013_093036.jpg

Now that! would certainly be a unique look for a formal.. of course this idea would come from the only man on the planet that puts a 4 speed manual in a formal, I like the way you think Stan.
Actually, my inspiration for saying Bob's NYB absolutely needs a Shaker®™ comes from a 91 Imperial I saw with one. Done so well it looked factory. Google Imperial Shaker, I'm sure it will pop up.

Back