1978 NYB Preservation Project....Sort of

I'm going against the grain here, but I don't like the Levant. Looks very GM-y, although I know it's correct on some Mopars. For the $$$ you are paying, I'd want it done right. By this point the second incorrect top should just be free... then i'd probably live with it. Seriously, of what value is a second correct-but-uninstalled top? Will it to a grandkid for when it needs to be redone in 40 years?

This company seems like a real disaster.

They are actually going to send me a 3rd top (the right one) whenever they get it done right.

I have one that should fit a 68-70 Charger. But as I think about it......I've never seen a 68-70 Charger with a PB3 blue vinyl top.

3256.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothing new to report about the NYB. Perfect atmospheric conditions to shoot today.....had to work all day.

They are actually going to send me a 3rd top (the right one) whenever they get it done right.

I have one that should fit a 68-70 Charger. But as I think about it......I've never seen a 68-70 Charger with a PB3 blue vinyl top.

View attachment 80518

Very nice of them to give you free, utterly useless merchandise. My point is they should just apologize for throwing off your whole project, send you a new (correct) new top, and credit your card.

This is like a place that gives you a meal with a dead fly, charges you anyway, but gives you a coupon to come back again for a free meal.

In other words, they've given you two useless things (you'll pay for at least one of them) and at some point down the road, you'll get what you came for (free). It's not like a vinyl top can be removed like an incorrect hubcap that you're just useing until the right one arrives. Their whole business model is predicated on charging premium prices to deliver authentic parts. If a generic vinyl top was your goal, you could have saved bucks and time by calling JC Whitney.

Anyway, that's at least my take.

Very nice of them to give you free, utterly useless merchandise. My point is they should just apologize for throwing off your whole project, send you a new (correct) new top, and credit your card.

This is like a place that gives you a meal with a dead fly, charges you anyway, but gives you a coupon to come back again for a free meal.

In other words, they've given you two useless things (you'll pay for at least one of them) and at some point down the road, you'll get what you came for (free). It's not like a vinyl top can be removed like an incorrect hubcap that you're just useing until the right one arrives. Their whole business model is predicated on charging premium prices to deliver authentic parts. If a generic vinyl top was your goal, you could have saved bucks and time by calling JC Whitney.

Anyway, that's at least my take.

I asked Lesli (SMS) who was going to pay to have the 2nd top removed and the 3rd top installed (if it turns out to be the right one). Her answer (sarcastically) "I don't know" indicating that they weren't going to reimburse me for the labor because of their multiple mistakes. And again....not one apology at all during this entire ordeal.

BTW, I was starting to panic that I wouldn't have some kind of vinyl top to get the car ready for Carlisle. I still have some maintenance repairs that I have to get done before the car can get on the road.

BTW, I was starting to panic that I wouldn't have some kind of vinyl top to get the car ready for Carlisle. I still have some maintenance repairs that I have to get done before the car can get on the road.

I still look at in-progress cars if it's something I care about (i.e., not just another pro-touring ABE) In fact, it might be good to know crazy people actually restore these cars and they all aren't just survivors. Just go topless.

6224563430_8b36306e13_o.jpg

(You see what I did there? I could have made an easy topless joke, followed with a hot topless chick. Now aren't you glad I put some effort into it?... No? oh. sorry.)

I still look at in-progress cars if it's something I care about (i.e., not just another pro-touring ABE) In fact, it might be good to know crazy people actually restore these cars and they all aren't just survivors. Just go topless.

6224563430_8b36306e13_o.jpg

(You see what I did there? I could have made an easy topless joke, followed with a hot topless chick. Now aren't you glad I put some effort into it?... No? oh. sorry.)
Would ya just look at that smile.......

OMG
For the first time ever... I have to say...

3003-jpeg.80608

Remember the topic...

I wonder if SMS is going to have a vendor spot at Carlisle???

Probably not.... I don't think they are motivated or brave enough to face all the happy customers.

They've never done Carlisle, and they dont have too. They've taken the If they build it people will come approach and its worked for many, many years.

They've never done Carlisle, and they dont have too. They've taken the If they build it people will come approach and its worked for many, many years.

If I was 20 years younger I would get Pedro and his cousins from Stan and start an East Coast vinyl top shop and put them out of business.

You wouldnt be able to. They have so much NOS material you couldnt match their selection. For every disgruntled customer they have a bunch of satisfied customers. There is a reason why people like you go there. I know Ive read several horror stories but they have the impossible to find stuff , a dozen Pedros wont get you that

I know it is Bob..... best thing you could do in my opinion is ***** until you get it for free

Companies like that don't give a crap about the little guy.. At this point all you could do is become a pain in THIER azz by consistently contacting them, or attempting too, until, like mentioned before, you get what you needed in the first place.

Back