1978 wiper drive cam

I've even had my cousin that is a CNC expert and engineer at Total Seal (makes race car piston rings) tell me if there is a way to mod to the 74-77 cam to go with it.

Do we want 2 speed or 3 speed parts?
A MOPAR drawing I am looking at shows that only 2 speed uses a cam setup?
Is the 3 speed just a crank arm???

I've done 2 of them already. They must of been 2 speeds because the armature of the motor was straight out from the firewall like the ones on 78's. The 3 speed motors have the armature that is at 90 degrees and parallel to the firewall.

images

3 speed wiper motor

IMAG1451-1.jpg

This is what bolts to my 78 wiper motor now and uses the 74-78 small cam.

You have to fab the offset as pictured to go on the wiper motor or the wiper linkage geometry will be way off. Still have the 78 2 speed variable wiper motor and I welded the small end of the linkage rod to my 78 linkage rod end that had the big cam.

DSC02239.jpgDSC02240.jpg

DSC02239.jpg

DSC02240.jpg

1978 wiper cam

Sucess! :yaayy:
Murray sent us a crank arm with a longer pin and it
works with the re-pro cam set. The installer did have to modify
the locater slot in the crank arm slightly!CRANK ARM.jpg

CRANK ARM.jpg

Not even sure what I'm looking at in your pic.

Could you post a couple of shots from different angles?

Not even sure what I'm looking at in your pic.

Could you post a couple of shots from different angles?
The crank arm on the left is the original from the 78 Newport.
The arm on the right is the longer/taller pin crank arm from ???
You will have to ask Murray what it came off of.
Dont have anymore pics, it's on the car now!

The crank arm on the left is the original from the 78 Newport.
The arm on the right is the longer/taller pin crank arm from ???
You will have to ask Murray what it came off of.
Dont have anymore pics, it's on the car now!

It came off 74-77 Formal 2 speed motor.

Lemme get this straight.
To repair a broken 78 wiper arm bushing, you have to buy both a 74-77 2 speed crank arm AND Murray's bushing? Plus it still needs the pin modified???
WT........

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I fixed mine for $3.....I've posted extensive info and pictures on how to do it my way.

I have no idea what exactly has to be done with Murray's fix.

I need this cam for my 1979 Newport (I also have a 74 Newport 2 dr aka Big Bird) Anyone aware of replacement part availability? I need it so I can drive the rain (so my wife says...she has no sense of fun).

I need this cam for my 1979 Newport (I also have a 74 Newport 2 dr aka Big Bird) Anyone aware of replacement part availability? I need it so I can drive the rain (so my wife says...she has no sense of fun).

Both the 78 C-Body cam and 79 R-Body cam are big cams.

However...they are different and don't interchange. I had a cam from a 79 R-Body years ago when I was working a viable replacement for my 78 NYB and that is how I discovered the 79 won't work on a 78 and vice versa. I don't have the 79 cam anymore. I don't know if the 79 R-body cam is available and I don't have a 79 parts book to find the part number either. There are a few R-body guys on this site that may be able to help.

Pete.....any help with us would be appreciated.

Back