2017 Carlisle Chrysler Nationals July 14-16

No good news to report here at all.. sigh... not a fun night.

We made it a little over 200 miles out. Car started running a little warmer then I liked. Pulled into a gas station to inspect. While inspecting found the trans spewing its guts all over. The *** of the car is covered in trans fluid. Went to a local Walmart, and got some of that Lucas trans leak stuff. It worked great before, but did nothing today...

Turned the car around.. which is prolly a good thing. The overheating issue seemed to be getting worse.

We lost the battle, but not the war yet. We are now in my Ram. All night on the road, and here we are at our neighborhood gas station again.

F&$& me!!
So sorry to hear, I feel your pain.

No good news to report here at all.. sigh... not a fun night.

We made it a little over 200 miles out. Car started running a little warmer then I liked. Pulled into a gas station to inspect. While inspecting found the trans spewing its guts all over. The *** of the car is covered in trans fluid. Went to a local Walmart, and got some of that Lucas trans leak stuff. It worked great before, but did nothing today...

Turned the car around.. which is prolly a good thing. The overheating issue seemed to be getting worse.

We lost the battle, but not the war yet. We are now in my Ram. All night on the road, and here we are at our neighborhood gas station again.

F&$& me!!
We'll be happy just to see you... good call not pushing it.

That really blows.......you have a long haul ahead of you. Always space at my tent

It does for sure. I am extremely bummed. This trip has been in the planning for years now.

We brought our little gazebo/tent overhang. Can add it to the base camp at your spot if needed.

Still looking forward to the show!

We'll be happy just to see you... good call not pushing it.

On the way back, all I could think was, " well f!&@ the trans, it's gotta come out anyway. Just need to keep this big block cool." lol

The overheating was weird. Didn't start doing it till the last half hour heading north. It would "pulsate", like there was air in the system. The temp gauge would go up, then slowly come down a little till it got to the high side. I turned the heat on to help, you could even feel it in the car go from blistering hot, to warm. Just started out of the blue.

Discovered 64mph kept it somewhat neutral.

This is where the gauge was at 64

IMG_1510.JPG

It does for sure. I am extremely bummed. This trip has been in the planning for years now.

We brought our little gazebo/tent overhang. Can add it to the base camp at your spot if needed.

Still looking forward to the show!

On the way back, all I could think was, " well f!&@ the trans, it's gotta come out anyway. Just need to keep this big block cool." lol

The overheating was weird. Didn't start doing it till the last half hour heading north. It would "pulsate", like there was air in the system. The temp gauge would go up, then slowly come down a little till it got to the high side. I turned the heat on to help, you could even feel it in the car go from blistering hot, to warm. Just started out of the blue.

Discovered 64mph kept it somewhat neutral.

This is where the gauge was at 64

View attachment 133102

I wonder if the engine was really hot. . . You might try one of those HF heat gun sensors to check it for sure.

I wonder if the engine was really hot. . . You might try one of those HF heat gun sensors to check it for sure.

Yea I deff need to get one of those when we get back, and check it out.

Idk how hot it got for sure, but do know it was fluctuating up and down quite a bit.

Yea I deff need to get one of those when we get back, and check it out.

Idk how hot it got for sure, but do know it was fluctuating up and down quite a bit.

That fluctuating could have been just normal operation of the thermostat. Holy crap! Did I just say: "Its the thermostat?"

I have kept my mouth shut this year up to now, I said i would bring the GT to the show last year but that fizzled with the issues , then this year I have been slowly sorting it and I still have the heads off as we speak. So with that in mind i have to pull the plug again and say I will be a no show.

Well damn, Gary - was looking forward to finally meeting you there! Sorry you won't be able to make it. Seems I had to sell my car to make it happen, the Mopar gods have smiled on me. Looks like I'll be going up for the first time with a buddy from Mt Airy, MD. We had planned on going Saturday, but due to a commitment on his end Sunday will be the day.

Hope they don't roll up the fair grounds by then, looking forward to meeting some of the crew. Might even venture into the for sale corral, because I know that, unlike C-Body Bob who has 287 cars, I have excellent self-control and all that. *cough*cough*

Apologies if I missed it in the thread, but is there a specific location where the CBodies folks hang out, or is it a hit-n-miss, visit the different spots affair? I just have this image in my head of Stan sitting there on a bar stool, under an awning, beer in hand (and numerous empties on the ground), regaling the gathered C Body masses with humorous anecdotes from a car guy's life. All the while ignoring the B-Body guys running around outside yelling 'Beep! Beep! Vroom! Vroom!'.

And I hadn't been drinking a lot when this came to me.

Last edited:
Bummer about your car Zac, but I'm glad you made the right decision. And glad you're coming anyway. It'll be nice to meet you.

I'll be down soon... I blew up my back, had a pretty rough night... but I have managed to stand upright again (there's a joke in thee somewhere). I might manage to walk, but those scooters are sounding good.
Can't imagine why... with your itinerary!
And there is a joke in there.... I worked my *** off in the drilling field for most of my life. I finally came up with a zinger after I started working for myself selling tools. However the damage was already done to my back but that's life.... anyway, I was getting out of bed one morning all hunched over and using the end of the bed as a walker and Sammie says "What's wrong?" I said without batting an eye.... "I wish my prick was as stiff as my back!" We both just split a gut laughing..
Hope you didn't do any permanent damage. See you tomorrow!

I'll be down soon... I blew up my back, had a pretty rough night... but I have managed to stand upright again (there's a joke in thee somewhere). I might manage to walk, but those scooters are sounding good.

Sorry to hear Jeff, hope your doing better!

I did want to offer, now that we have the truck, if you might need something hauled back down, let me know. I know you sent your pallet out already, but there's still the show.

Bummer about your car Zac, but I'm glad you made the right decision. And glad you're coming anyway. It'll be nice to meet you.

Looking forward to meet you as well!

we finally made it in a little after 8. Spent the last 2 hours at a do it yourself car wash, making the truck somewhat presentable. Sounds like it should be no problem to change classes, and get the truck on the show field. Luckily trucks are on the agenda this year. Don't feel like too big a putz lol.

IMG_1512.JPG

I've seen Bigjohn is here. Havnt seen him yet. John the car is drop dead gorgeous!!! I'm extremely jealous. I think I offended the general lee guys drooling over your car so much, and paying them no mind lol. I gotta go check them out too. Seen a few cars out there, but it sucks seeing them, and mines at home!

IMG_1513.JPG

I have determined that I will not be able to make it to Carlisle this year. I'm hoping my health will get better soon and I'm able to come to Carlisle next year.

Sorry Fella's.......

Bummer Zach, at least you came anyway. I'm stuck in line to unload in Cleveland F' me this is what I get trying to earn a living instead of Cars, cars, cars see you guys Saturday.

I know your all waiting with anticipation:rofl::poke:

My Brown bomb is not making it either, no cooler on trans and converter is way too loose for a 180 mile hike.
Guess we will have to find someone else's car to sit in and make vroom, vroom-vroom noises.

On my way. Was able to re-schedule jury duty to Sept.
A couple stops to make on the way and staying in Somerset tonight.
Be there first thing Sat. and Sun.

NYB i feel your pain. I had to cancel last minute two years ago due to a minor surgery.

Oh, and that picture of the rain could have been taken any year. It always rains at some point this weekend. Tip, don't park on the hill!

Back