2020 Jeep Gladiator

I have a severe aversion for people who buy vehicles they can't afford especially when it's for image. That's what's very wrong with this country. Status symbols and toys.

I have a severe aversion for people who buy vehicles they can't afford especially when it's for image. That's what's very wrong with this country. Status symbols and toys.

We've been taught well. When in doubt, do like Uncle Sugar. Borrow.

:/

46940941_1117545125073704_7207055401584427008_n.jpg

Nothing like a good ol' fashioned worldwide conflict to get the economy going....I think we are overdue for one btw

Back in the earlier '80s, I was at a body shop customer's shop and he had one of the "MACHO" Jeep pickups sitting outside. He started talking about needing a new bed for it. I asked why? He showed me and told me how it happened.

Seems the Jeep pickup was being repoed. The repo wrecker guy backed up to it, raised his boom, and then drove off with it. One of the trailer hitch balls on the end of the boom didn't engage too well on that side of the rear bumper. End result, the Jeep became disengaged from the boom and nailed a telephone pole, dead center of the rear of the bed. Of course, the tail gate was not on the bed. BUT, there was a perfect round imprint of where the telephone pole impacted the bed floor. Just the width of the telephone pole's diameter, wrinkled metal on the front of the 'hole", but that was ALL the damage there was. Bed still in perfect alignment with the back of the cab and NO broken paint or dimples from it's contact, either! IF it'd been a GM or Ford pickup, especially a GM, the bed would have impacted the back of the cab and broken the back window I was amazed, to say the least. What did Jeep know about building strong vehicles that the other guys didn't???? Especially in an era when frames were allegedly not nearly as strong as the current ones alleged are!

Anyway, after the wrecker guy saw what was happening and had later happened. He went back and got the Jeep hooked up like he would normally hook up a normal tow, then proceeded with it.

With the big roll that Jeep is on in sales and such, the addition of a pickup truck will probably keep that roll going. Of course, some will spend another $20K+ with suspension kits, wheels, tires, etc.

When it gets factory options of leather and a heated steering wheel, we'll know something's gone awry!

CBODY67

There have been pick up conversion kits for Wranglers on the market for some time now. Their popularity, even at $5-6k+ per, are mainly what drove this.

It will compete well with the 5 less assembly plants that GM needs to close to save/earn another 4 billion in 2020
Apparently they are following Dearborn's lead of, "we can't sell enough of these cars, so we will stop making/selling them", giving the entire market to Asian and European MFG., "We will make more money selling less cars"
Now there is a business plan they don't teach in college.

This one is a better design in my opinion. It seems to have better proportions.

View attachment 233423

I would say it is a very safe bet that one of those "Scrambler" types of Jeep pickup truck will be coming down the pike in the next year or two. FCA seems to get the messaging loud and clear lately. And they are building quality vehicles these days and their marketing department knows how to pitch the ball. Here was the actual reveal yesterday. A first class effort. And I agree with Stan and Dave, they know exactly who they are targeting with these vehicles (it is a long reveal, but very interesting who they are pitching Jeeps to these days - almost no one is left out):

https://www.allpar.com/news/2018/11/watch-the-jeep-gladiator-launch-42977

Last edited:
Back