2X4 Intake Carb Question

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve been on a kick lately… Normally I’m a record fiend. I’ve got tons and tons of rare Soul, Doo Wop and other miscellaneous 45s worth $$$. Now it seems my knack for finding stuff has crossed into the Mopar world…

You may remember I scored these awesome 413 4 bolt valve covers not too long ago

E6CAFD07-55BA-4296-BB23-F2C3D6FCE923.jpeg

Now I’ve scored this awesome 2X4 intake I believe came from a letter car!

B6B4A6EB-8CA0-437B-B09C-E2EABEFF1BFB.jpeg

I’m curious now. What carbs would’ve came with this from the factory? Thinking of running it on the 413 to my future 62 Chrysler. Don’t want to “over carb” the engine but… I can’t not put this beautiful intake on that 413 same for those rare Moon valve covers!

If that is from a letter car, then I would sell it and get an aluminum one. They are still available new, and those cast-iron ones are heavy. I like the valve covers. Years ago, I had 3 big blocks with 4 bolt heads. Two were 426s. Those would look nice on the 413.

There is an episode of Nick's Garage where they ran an intake and carb set-up with that "ancient" 2x4bbl manifold (or one just like it). It made over 500 lbs/ft of torque. Totally amazing for the technology back then! Carb sizes would have been about 500 cfm each, I'm speculating as cfm ratings were not really worried about back then, just the number of holes in the throttle body. Progressive linkage keeps excess capacity waiting for activation, just like the secondaries of a normal 4bbl.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

They had Carter AFB's. I think they were originally set up on processive linkage and only the primary carb had a choke setup.

I had one of these manifolds once and tried to run two Eddie's on it and they bolted up but the butterflies hit the manifold so I had to run a spacer.

That only came on the 300E, and it’s verified with the 58 casting date. The F & G had the long rams.

That manifold is the easiest and cheapest part of the complete set up to find. The parts to complete it will cost you plenty.

Think of it as a gateway drug, a teaser to the pain ahead. Once you search for the rest of the stuff then get a reality check from the price tag.

And why is it always a bare manifold for sale? No carbs aircleaners or hardware. Same with the ram manifolds.

That only came on the 300E, and it’s verified with the 58 casting date. The F & G had the long rams.

That manifold is the easiest and cheapest part of the complete set up to find. The parts to complete it will cost you plenty.

Think of it as a gateway drug, a teaser to the pain ahead. Once you search for the rest of the stuff then get a reality check from the price tag.

And why is it always a bare manifold for sale? No carbs aircleaners or hardware. Same with the ram manifolds.

I agree that the manifold is the easiest and cheapest part of the set up.

Actually though, besides the 300 Es, that manifold setup was also used on the 1962 Chrysler 300H and non-letter 300s with the optional power pack 413 engine.

1678514055183.jpeg

I am finally rid of my need for multiple carbed intake manifolds. I sold my Cross Ram setup, and the Edelbrock STR-14, and will probably be selling one of my Weiend Cross Ram intakes. I'll keep the Six Pac carbs, and go with an original Edelbrock aluminum stock style manifold. While cool to look at, and who doesn't like eye candy, the simple fact is a single four barrel carb is usually the way to go, for performance and reliability.

But don't listen to me, dress up that engine bay any way you desire, it'll be fun to watch you make it your own.

I agree that the manifold is the easiest and cheapest part of the set up.

Actually though, besides the 300 Es, that manifold setup was also used on the 1962 Chrysler 300H and non-letter 300s with the optional power pack 413 engine.

View attachment 586238
As the evolution of intake manifold technology and design has progressed, a 750+cfm carb on a single 4bbl intake can rival or best earlier multi-carb intakes with over 1000cfm of carburetor capacity sitting on top of them, which is good. But back then, multi-carb set-ups were the way to go for power and certainly "street cred" when tuned properly. And, running on just the primaries of the primary carburetor, they got pretty decent cruise fuel economy, too! But some over-cammed the engine for lower rpm operation, so many didn't have that benefit.

Isaiah, you have done a fantastic and expeditious job of getting the car going again! I look forward to seeing what comes in the future, as others probably are also.

Please keep us posted on your progress and future activities!

CBODY67

I am finally rid of my need for multiple carbed intake manifolds. I sold my Cross Ram setup, and the Edelbrock STR-14, and will probably be selling one of my Weiend Cross Ram intakes. I'll keep the Six Pac carbs, and go with an original Edelbrock aluminum stock style manifold. While cool to look at, and who doesn't like eye candy, the simple fact is a single four barrel carb is usually the way to go, for performance and reliability.

But don't listen to me, dress up that engine bay any way you desire, it'll be fun to watch you make it your own.
I recently watched a episode Engine Masters in which the boys tested the above 3 intakes and concluded that the Edelbrock OEM manifold was superior!
Mike

I recently watched a episode Engine Masters in which the boys tested the above 3 intakes and concluded that the Edelbrock OEM manifold was superior!
Mike
I had high hopes for the Weiend, boy was that an eye opener! Sometimes, you just can't make a better widget.

I own a 300F, 300H, a 300C plus a 70 Cuda six-pack and frankly I do not prefer any of them over a straightforward single 4 bbl intake with a modern Edelbrock AVS II carb or modern Holley carb on a good intake manifold. In the speed ranges I drive, I find no benefit worth all the complexity/hassle of the more "eye candy" setups. Technology has marched on and today's fuel injected and supercharged engines are a real improvement yet but then even they are going to be obsoleted by electric vehicles with no limit in terms of performance it seems and freedom from maintenance as well by comparison.

The real benefit of these older setups is a nostalgic trip through memory lane and highlights along the way in my view and not much more. I personally feel future EVs will not be cherished as collector vehicles near as much as yesterday's best efforts. They have evolved into appliances that are comparatively simple and maintenance free with little character that distinguishes by comparison.

I am in this "hobby" for the memories and the display of intelligence and beauty that their creators were able to achieve that are clearly discernable. I spent more than a decade at Chrysler Engineering in Detroit and started there in 1969 and all I can say is that those were certainly some of the best times/memories with the Corporation imaginable and that is where my collection is focused.

A key word, to me, is "CHARACTER". Appreciating it and learning to use it to best advantage.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I would agree with all above about a well tuned 4V will keep time with a vintage 2x4 set up.
Finding the intake is the easy part. It’s all the (always) missing special parts that are hardest to find.
That being said. I like the WOW factor looks of a factory 2x4 set-up. Especially a Chrysler long ram.!!
Make sure you research the proper cam for application.
JMO use those valve covers and intake on your 62. That’s why you got them!

Back