$3.5MM Cuda

It has transcended being a car. It is an investment only at this point. We live in a crazy world.

Your right. And it has been a good investment up to this point. Want to see a real eye opener? Look up 250 GTO Ferrari. I think they built 33 cars, and it is a 35-50 million car. Interestingly one of them was donated a long time ago to a Ohio vocational school. It sat outside neglected for years. Sold & restored long ago. I do see what Stan is saying though. It just seems so wasteful. For any car.

A friend restored a '71 Sassy Grass Green HEMI four-speed coupe a few years back, and got the highest price ever for a HEMI E-body coupe at $2.1M at the Houston auction. Before he sold it, he was not at all afraid to hammer the throttle and smoke the tires right off the rims - this AFTER spending over a half-mil on the resto of an exceptionally straight, numbers-matching HEMI car. If you don't enjoy them as they are intended, regardless of the money, it's just garage art.

A friend restored a '71 Sassy Grass Green HEMI four-speed coupe a few years back, and got the highest price ever for a HEMI E-body coupe at $2.1M at the Houston auction. Before he sold it, he was not at all afraid to hammer the throttle and smoke the tires right off the rims - this AFTER spending over a half-mil on the resto of an exceptionally straight, numbers-matching HEMI car. If you don't enjoy them as they are intended, regardless of the money, it's just garage art.
YUP......sounds about right in my book.

If I had that kind of cash to just buy a investment or trailer queen I would drive it like I stole it just to piss people off

I may as well chime in here. I agree with the sentiment that the car became an investment at some point in its life, like a piece of art or a rare stamp. It's probably not something the new owner will take out on weekends... I see cars as investments as being more volatile than other forms though. For instance, I was just reading today about a 1970 LS6 Chevelle convertible that sold at auction in 2006 for almost 1.2 mil, then in 2009 it sold for a paltry 264k. I could see that sort of thing happening to a 1971 hemi cuda too. But one thing I know for sure, I won't be in the predicament to have to make the decision whether or not to spend 3.5 million bucks on anything.

I may as well chime in here. I agree with the sentiment that the car became an investment at some point in its life, like a piece of art or a rare stamp. It's probably not something the new owner will take out on weekends... I see cars as investments as being more volatile than other forms though. For instance, I was just reading today about a 1970 LS6 Chevelle convertible that sold at auction in 2006 for almost 1.2 mil, then in 2009 it sold for a paltry 264k. I could see that sort of thing happening to a 1971 hemi cuda too. But one thing I know for sure, I won't be in the predicament to have to make the decision whether or not to spend 3.5 million bucks on anything.

So much more to that story though. The car was brought out of a PA garage in 2004 them completely restored by Jim Brady as SuperSport Sales and Services.

Jim could market a car. And this one was documented from before it hit the showroom floor. Even the GM test papers were found. If you went to that particular auction you got a gift bag that had a buisness card, a picture of the car, and Jim actually had 25,000 pieces of candy with the words "70 LS6 Convertible" on it. Everyone at thay auction knew they could bid on THE highest optioned, best documented LS6 convertible on the planet.

When asked why his million dollar plus tanked so bad after five years and two miles, Jim said this on Team Chevelle. "The guy didn't know how to market the car"

Was it worth 1.2 mil in the first place? Prob not, but there is a reason there are free drinks in the bidders pit.

And that's what the stupid money is all about. It's got nothing to do with "nostalgia", or an old man's desire to get the car they remember "back in the day". We are the guys into nostalgia and even if I hit the lotto I wouldn't pay 3.5 mil for that car and I doubt any one over the age of 55 would either.

X2. Yeah neither would I pay that kind of money for a car EVEN if I did have it,lol. That's just ridiculous.

There are times I lust for something extravagant. If I didn't, it means I probably had a double frontal lobotomy.
But I always think about this.
I remember my first apartment.
I got a have dozen cinder blocks and a couple of pieces of pine and that was my stereo stand. And I was THRILLED with it.
Now, I have a so-called custom built solid oak (that was for you Matt :D ) "entertainment center".
rolleyes.gif
BFD.
When I installed it, it did not give me 1/10th the satisfaction I remember of my first board and cinder block shelf.
I don't think the buyers of these cars understand happiness. They are always searching, searching, searching...
That 3.5 mil car didn't bring the buyer 1/10th the happiness as when Nick dragged home his rust buckets.

That 3.5 mil car didn't bring the buyer 1/10th the happiness as when Nick dragged home his rust buckets.

You can lump me in that happy rust bucket crowd. I'm still thrilled about my '66. And the best part? I drove it to work today. Let's see those multi-million-dollar convertible guys do that.

If I had that kind of money....

I would buy a slant 6 Challenger rust bucket, take it Grave Yard Carz, have a rock star tour bus parked in their lot and laugh my *** off watching them while they restore it with a monster Ray Barton Hemi and Hemi 4 speed and a Strange Engineering Dana 60!

Back