318 Temp Question

scooter3

Reaction score
I have a question dealing with the 318 Poly in my 66 Fury III.

The car has a new aluminum radiator and electric fan.
It was cooling decently, only got warm when you got to close to the back of another car in traffic.
Lately after an extended trip while going down the interstate it randomly gets hot without anything really in front of it blocking the airflow. It will get hot quickly with something in front of it.
I have found that letting off the throttle for a few seconds at a time will cause it to come back down. Almost like burping it.
Also, the water pump is not leaking from the weep hole.
It also has the coldest thermostat available.

What would be causing this? Water pump? Blocked water jackets?

I would say if all else is good make sure timing is right and make sure it isn't running lean. Those 2 conditions could cause it to run hot.

The timing isnt exactly right I do know that. It idles a bit low right now. Not sure about a lean condition.

How about the gauges themselves? I've seen a lot of conversation on this board about how they were never very reliable. Do you have AC? If so, is this happening with AC off as well as running? Also, I wouldn't think that driving close to another vehicle would cause such fluctuations in engine temperature.

It has AC but its not connected (no belt)
The gauge seems fairly accurate, when its got hot on the gauge its puked a bit into the bottle.
Its gotten very sensitive around other cars especially at high speed/rpm. I can have a car 5-7 car lengths in front of me and it will start getting warmer.
Traffic doesn't seem to bother it no more then usual. I keep half a car length or more in front to let air in and that generally keeps it constant.

One thing I havent tried it running the heater when this happens.

My think iz itz your electric fan. These ole' carz were meant to function with a clutch fan and the correct steal blade pattern fan. And I do have one car-bud that ditched hez brand spankin' new Summit Electric fan and chased down an original fan and a working clutch fan and solved his problems that were the same az you describe. The electric was working all the time and waz actually blocking air flow at hiway speedz and the problem waz compounded if he followed another car too close or got behind ah truck. He also tried a pusher and a puller and had the same problem! Sound familiar? Worth ah shot I'd think? Can't be that hard to find ah '66 Fury that's powered by ah 318 with the fan still hangin' on the water pump! Jer

Back