383 Distributor help

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about this distributor....why it has such a HUGE vacuum advance canister??...and those prongs were connected (electrically) to the back of the 2bbl carb, which had identical prongs. I just installed new mopar performance electronic ignition to get rid of the crappy points and the new distributor looked nothing like this....the vacuum canister is nowhere near the same size, and there is no electrical prongs on it either. Has anyone else run into this?? I'm trying to get the girl up and running again and I'm hoping this isn't an issue.

Also, just out of curiosity, if you've installed a new electronic ignition to replace a points system, how did you wire the ballast resistor, from what I understand there are two different methods:eusa_think:

Thanx for sharing!

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

My 1970 383 has the same thing............

so are you able to say what this/what this does (prongs) on the vacuum canister? It was wired/plugged into the back of the 2bbl carb. The new mopar performance dist. does not have this feature (yes, I double checked--multiple times,hahaha to confirm that I order the correct replacement dist). I've never seen this before on a 'B' motor dist. (not saying that its not normal - just never saw before).

surprises, surprises....ugh.:silent:

Couldn't say, this sounds ridiculous but mine was melted around the prongs and ordered a NOS piece to replace it. What it does..........:shruggy:

Couldn't say, this sounds ridiculous but mine was melted around the prongs and ordered a NOS piece to replace it. What it does..........:shruggy:

Oh man. I am dead in the water because of this "bugaboo"....would've never guessed. It wasn't this difficult to do my lowly 318...had her up and running in no time. I must have pissed off the distributor gods.....:Groaner:

You have the distributor replaced with the new electronic unit correct? So why worry about it?

I think mine is disconnected, it was before the engine was rebuilt. When I would plug the wires back in the engine would run rough. Unplugged it runs fine.

You have the distributor replaced with the new electronic unit correct? So why worry about it?

I think mine is disconnected, it was before the engine was rebuilt. When I would plug the wires back in the engine would run rough. Unplugged it runs fine.

yeah, but with the NEW dist. she does not seem to want to start....the starter motor turns, I checked for electrical connectivity with 12v test light (at ballast resistor, ECU, + side of coil, etc. its all energized when key is turned), adjusted the new dist. per correct firing order 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2...adjusted the rotor accordingly and still she won't wake up.

Must be REALLY mad at me for the other day.

Back