4 barrel swap 66 Newport

Blackrifle

Reaction score
I have a 383 torker manifold and a summit racing 750 DP carb that woodruff rebuilt for me this past summer. How involved will swapping onto my 66 383 be?
What parts will I need to hunt down?

Used, or brand new Torker?
BB swaps are usually pretty easy, since you dont get into the cooling system. Just test fit and be wary of a manifold that may have been cut on. You may need one or even two sets of paper gaskets and i would leave the bathtub in place for initial fitment. Two other considerations will be throttle and kickdown linkage, as well as potential hood clearance depending on your car.

Dont be tempted to add a plastic or glass fuel filter to protect your new carb... there are good metal ones if you go that route, for safetys sake.

Last edited:
I got the intake from a friend who got it new. He had it on a 383 for a few months so it’s basically new. The throttle and linkage is what has me scratching my head

Maybe these?

HOLLEY 20-7 THROTTLE LEVER EXTENSION KICK DOWN BRACKET.
1709608107639.png

Holley Electric Choke Conversion Kit 45-223S.
1709608074911.png

If the carb is basically "aftermarket", then the above bracket kit is needed.

When I did such an upgrade on my '67 Newport 383 4bbl, I ALSO needed the kickdown rod extension item. I also had to use the thick insulator carb base gasket so keep the carb from being so close to the plenum floor, for better power. It all fits fine. I used the stock 4bbl air cleaner with no hood clearance issues.

For the kickdown rod, Edelbrock 8004 (7/16" rod) or Edelbrock 8003 (3/8" rod) is needed if the throttle is moved too far forward. You can probably ease the throttle cable forward and reuse it.

Intake gasket? Get the 440 6bbl paper gaskets (should be 4 in the package, IIRC) to go with the existing valley pan gasket. The paper items were used in the '69 440 6-pack intakes (which were aluminum) to keep the steel gasket beads from imprinting on the softer aluminum intake. I added black high heat sealer into the beads of the valley pan gasket to ensure a better seal than just the steel gasket can provide, plus the paper protecting the gasket surface on the aluminum intake. I ALSO got some harder black carb studs from the auto supply.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

Back