413 timing

MarkS

Reaction score
Does anyone know what I need to set my timing to for a '65 413?
I had a new Exhaust put on her yesterday and she sounds happier but i really need to adjust the timing. I've never used a Timing light before but understand the concept. Yes, even though I am old, I only recently started working on cars I'm a total :sSig_noob:
You can tell the weather is getting nice here in FL, less time doing yard work and more time into the Yorker :icon_thumright:

Cool. I would start lower and see how it runs, then work up. Have fun driving!

12.5 is about right add 21-22 degree centrifugal advance and that puts you in the area of 33.5-34.5 total advance. 35 is the usual starting point for tuning dyno/drag strip but you should not sweat that. Any more than mentioned above may make it ping/knock at speed or possible hard starting.

What a day, It's the first time the Chrysler stranded me. She was running well after the tune to 12.5 and then she wouldn't start. of course it was at someone elses house who wasn't at home.It sounded like the starter was straining HARD! of course a dead battery soon followed. So this morning I went armed with my truck, some basic tools and jumpers and just basically loosened the distributor and slowly rotating it until she finally decided to crank normally start. I got her home (Then walked a mile back to get my truck). I did the tune again at 10 degrees but was still very hard to start. so I actually have it at about 5. I hope that Im lining up the right marks in the strobe?!?! it looks like a fat sharpie mark right? so anyway I'm charging the battery and then I'll play with it some more.

I would make sure that your "Zero Timing" mark lines up with tdc and go from there.

Back