440 build opinions

newportmopar66

Reaction score
77 440 im gonna be running some 2355 six pack pistons to zero deck,stealth or edelbrock heads ,i wanna build a good quench engine,its going in to my 66 newport 2 door,i wanna have lots of torque and horsepower and be able to drive around town in it,id like to have some chop but dont want much convertor,so im looking for cam opinions? and maybe some dyno numbers im looking for between 450 lowest to 550hp with this much power whats to expect in 1/4 times?anyone have any builds in there lead sleds going in the 11's or even 12's?

No Stealth heads... You have to replace everything except the valves to make a good head, you have to clearance the pushrods, and then they are still not helicoiled... Go with Mopar or Edelbrock, and I would say no to Edelbrock if you were talking smallblock. I think the best intake for your build would be an Edelbrock RPM.

Do not go cheap on the pistons, get better, lighter pistons and balance your rotating assembly, and ignore any claims of what compression that any ad claims with different CC heads... Do the math... 440 deck hieght is 10.72", and the stock rods are 6.768" and most aftermarkets are 6.760", the stroke is 3.75" and the compression hieght of your piston is ???

The last 440 that I built using Diamond forged pistons with the low expansion 4032 material had .012" deck clearance and an additional .039" with the gasket to end up with .051" quench. On a 4.35" bore, zero deck could equal hitting your heads with your pistons, especially with the added clearance of a 2618 forged piston.

I think the Icon KB237 (USA made) forged 2618 piston comes out to .010" below without having to deck the block, and is what I am using on my upcoming 440 build.

I am not fond of the clatter of the Xtreme Energy Comp cams, so off hand, without digging I would say a .474 or .484 Purpleshaft makes a nice old school cam, and Lunati has some good looking specs on some of theirs as well.

Need to know your final decision on 3.55s or 3.91s and tire hieght before you pick a cam and converter.

You can get into the 13s with 3.55s and not run the hell out of your engine to go down the highway.

The 3.91s and a bigger cam will get you deeper into the 13s, but 12s or lower I think is reaching without spending a lot more money as your car is likely around 4,500 pounds curb weight without a driver.

I will be building a 440 for a '69 Charger R/T in the next month or 2, and I can take some pictures and share some specs if some of you have an interest. After the 440 and a 360, I hope to get the block and rotating assembly back for an Indy 493 that should excede 700hp and will be going into a '67 New Yorker later this year, so until then I can't tell you honestly how well it will do in such a heavy car.

As far as headers go, the Hedmans that they claim to fit, really don't, someone else here had experience with the C-body Hookers, and said they had to do some bending for clearance, so my bet would be on the TTI headers... ($$$)

Last edited:
No Stealth heads... You have to replace everything except the valves to make a good head, you have to clearance the pushrods, and then they are still not helicoiled... Go with Mopar or Edelbrock, and I would say no to Edelbrock if you were talking smallblock. I think the best intake for your build would be an Edelbrock RPM.

Do not go cheap on the pistons, get better, lighter pistons and balance your rotating assembly, and ignore any claims of what compression that any ad claims with different CC heads... Do the math... 440 deck hieght is 10.72", and the stock rods are 6.768" and most aftermarkets are 6.760", the stroke is 3.75" and the compression hieght of your piston is ???

The last 440 that I built using Diamond forged pistons with the low expansion 4032 material had .012" deck clearance and an additional .039" with the gasket to end up with .051" quench. On a 4.35" bore, zero deck could equal hitting your heads with your pistons, especially with the added clearance of a 2618 forged piston.

I think the Icon KB237 (USA made) forged 2618 piston comes out to .010" below without having to deck the block, and is what I am using on my upcoming 440 build.

I am not fond of the clatter of the Xtreme Energy Comp cams, so off hand, without digging I would say a .474 or .484 Purpleshaft makes a nice old school cam, and Lunati has some good looking specs on some of theirs as well.

Need to know your final decision on 3.55s or 3.91s and tire hieght before you pick a cam and converter.

You can get into the 13s with 3.55s and not run the hell out of your engine to go down the highway.

The 3.91s and a bigger cam will get you deeper into the 13s, but 12s or lower I think is reaching without spending a lot more money as your car is likely around 4,500 pounds curb weight without a driver.

I will be building a 440 for a '69 Charger R/T in the next month or 2, and I can take some pictures and share some specs if some of you have an interest. After the 440 and a 360, I hope to get the block and rotating assembly back for an Indy 493 that should excede 700hp and will be going into a '67 New Yorker later this year, so until then I can't tell you honestly how well it will do in such a heavy car.

As far as headers go, the Hedmans that they claim to fit, really don't, someone else here had experience with the C-body Hookers, and said they had to do some bending for clearance, so my bet would be on the TTI headers... ($$$)

I'm sure everyone here would be interested in your 440 build so please post pictures, specs, and any other info. Thanks!

Yes definitely keep us posted on the build. One of these days I will have to pick you brain about my 383. I have a buddy that has a 426 sitting in his garage forever, just for kicks and giggles how would that fit in my ’66 300?

Yes definitely keep us posted on the build. One of these days I will have to pick you brain about my 383. I have a buddy that has a 426 sitting in his garage forever, just for kicks and giggles how would that fit in my ’66 300?

Schumacher mounts are close to $300, you could put a larger sump on a C-body pan, and you need to have someone that can alter some Hemi headers. I'm sure there could be some other obsticals, but there is a brown '70 Fury here that has done it... I saw the car in person at Mopar Nationals and looked right at home in there.

Also Chris had posted some pictures a couple months back, with a '66 Polara or Monaco with one residing under the hood as well..... And a member here from Germany put one in a '69 Monaco.... Polara?

So 1 Plymouth and 2 Dodge C-bodies, but no Chrysler? Doesn't seem right.

426 wedge or hemi?....

Im gonna run the 2355 pistons ,im gonna zero deck the block,im just unsure really of the heads i wanna use and the cam.i have 516 but dont wanna mess with those i can get 452 heads but they arent good for a quench engine i think anyways so either eddies or stealth for the closed chamber.

HUMMMM? Zero deck, closed chamber, cam=something north of 500 + 4500* C-Body. Add a 1000 gallon tanker trailer for the turbo-blue or 120 Av-fuel and you wanna get in the 11's with a thin wall 440 and a cast crank?...I'm glad you've got the deep pockets. Let us all know when the project is road worthy 'cuz I wanna be there to take pix! Sorry Man but I gotta tell yeah I think your plans are just a bit optimistic!

Schumacher mounts are close to $300, you could put a larger sump on a C-body pan, and you need to have someone that can alter some Hemi headers. I'm sure there could be some other obsticals, but there is a brown '70 Fury here that has done it... I saw the car in person at Mopar Nationals and looked right at home in there.

Also Chris had posted some pictures a couple months back, with a '66 Polara or Monaco with one residing under the hood as well..... And a member here from Germany put one in a '69 Monaco.... Polara?

So 1 Plymouth and 2 Dodge C-bodies, but no Chrysler? Doesn't seem right.

I don't think that is right either, we need a Chrysler with a 426. I'm going to have to check out the pictures of the Polara or Monaco, I think I would have remember them if I had seen them.

first i never said i was aiming for 11's go back to school and learn how to read ive never seen a 11 or even a 12 second c body.i wouldnt expect anything faster than 15's.my spelling and grammer might be off but im not bashing peoples posts

what makes u think i dont have a steel crank on the bench in my garage?explain why u think a 77 440 block is thin wall!do u know ?or just read that it was?

As anyone can see, my absence from commenting on what would be the best way to do this 440 build has been intentional....

Sir. 1st, I was not bashing your post or your plans, You ask for opinions, I gave one! 2nd, You implied 11's or 12's by your question in your opening post, and not that it really makes a big heap of camel dung but I have a friend that has a '61 Newport running the original 413 that has it solidly in the 12's. The records are at Milan Dragway if you care to dig them out. You say you want 500HP with closed chamber heads among other things. That should put your 440 head squeeze somewhere between 11 1/2 to 13 1/2 to 0ne. Now tell me sir, Are you going to try that 5 or 6 MPG 440 on pump gas? As for you having a forged crank in a '77 440. I think that would an extremely remote posibility and I also think you would have mentioned it if you had a forged crank just laying around based on your other wants, desires, and needs! Any one that plays with 440's knows the last forged cranks were installed in 1972, and the last of the thick wall blocks were cast in '74, even if they did get put into a few RV's with 6pk rods into the late 70's. If you can not take both sides of an opinion sir don't ask, It's that simple. I suggest we stop this banter before some one gets their nose out of joint and feelings get hurt. We're all adults here I do believe. Jer

Back