440 cam degreeing help

flyinbrick68

Reaction score
Ok any help would be appreciated. I'm installing a cam in my 440. So far ive tried straight up and its fairly close but around 3 degrees shy on the icl from my card it ends up at 100. The @.050 intake opening is damn near spot on closest ive got it is within 1 degree and closing is 1.5 degrees off. However the lsa is 107 and they want it installed at 103. There could be error on my behalf as its the first time ive installed a cam. It seems 7 deegrees advanced is way too much should i worry or try retarding it again? Seems that throws off my specs quite a bit! The timing chain is a billet 9 key way howards.

Are your heads on or off? I referred to countless videos and articles via a google search when I did my first. What kind of cam?

heads are off, its a hydraulic flat tapet cam ground by howards for me. Its similar to a thumpr cam just a bit more lift and duration. I've been using a deck strap from comp to find tdc. I bet ive watched hours of youtube and google vids.

Did you degree it again to check your numbers? Not sure how your wheel mounts but make sure it didn't move

If you aren't sure of the numbers, best bet might be calling Howards.

I've reread the post several times and the way I'm understanding it, he's seeing different results @.050" lift than he should with the cam installed at 103° on the intake centerline.

Unless I'm not understanding the post , he's not sure if the grind is correct.

And that's a great reason to double check!

Yeah something wasn't right i was trying to get as close to the can card and straight up it came out at an intake centerline of 100 instead o 103. I only measured the intake and thats wheres my numbers came from. 7 degrees of advance seemed alot. I was able to retard it 2 degrees and get the intake opening within a degree of the cam card the closing is within a degree and a half centerline ended up at 102. I was using a comp cams crank socket seemed it had play unless you really crank down the set screw that bothered me.

These big blocks don't seem to mind advance so if anything err on that side.

Some cam grinders will grind in additional advance but normally it's on the cam card. You might want to call Howard's just to be sure. Moving it 3° isn't a big deal to reach what the cam card says - and that's what I'd be aiming at.

Installed centerline and lobe separation angle are two different values. You must use installed centerline or just centerline on some cam cards, if you are less than 2 degrees off "they" claim as not noticeable. A value lower numerically than the installed centerline is considered advanced and will provide more vacuum/ low end, a higher number is retarded and will make power at higher rpm.

Managed to get it installed and advanced to within one degree of the cam card. Either the cam gear set wasn't quite accurate or the cam was ground with 7 degrees of advance. Cam card calls for and installed centerline of 103 and its set at 102. Thank you guys for the info and suggestions so hopefully the break in will go smooth later on this week.

Not unrealistic for a big block to be off that much, that's a low centerline and should make a burnout king, nothing wrong with that

Getting closer to the start up! Everything's together except for hooking and tidying up the wiring. Waiting on two exhaust sleeve bolts that apparently don't come all in one kit. I Didn't want to take the chance of blowing out an exhaust gasket by not have the the nuts on the one side, so two more days and i should be able to get her fired up and running i'm hoping!

Don't forget to prime it!

Primed er started right up though initally was off by a plug wire on the rotor hopefully i didn't harm anything. I rotated the distr. order and she smoothed out ran in the cam at 2000 plus for 25 mins so far all seems good. After i fix the valve cover leak i can take her for a maiden voyage! Next step is the 10" ati converter an trans cooler!

Back