440 Cooling

If your car originally had AC with the 360, don't be so quick in your judgment thinking that it won't work, as the '73 and later 440s had the water pump inlet on the passenger side also, like the smallblock. Also I would stick with the 7 blade clutch fan, they have long been proven dependable and move plenty of air. You will unwillingly spend more money than you think where you may not expect, so try not to spend yourself in a hole before you get your car on the road.

Last edited:
My 75 360 with AC has the inlet on the drivers side. As of right now it tends to overheat on highway drives longer than 15 or 20 minutes so I'm definitely planning on replacing the radiator. Is the fan on a 360 the same as a clutch fan on a 440?

Dont assume that because it overheats that your radiator is bad or undersized. Many things could be the cause of your overheating, lack of coolant, an air bubble in the system, bad water pump, thermostat bad, bad radiator cap , even timing set incorrectly can cause an engine to overheat.
Having said all that a radiator that hasnt been flushed in many years could certainly be the problem.

With the radiator usually at the top of the list for overheating problems, no. 2 is water passages clogged with rock hard deposits.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I would try and go with an original style radiator...good used, or re-cored. Also make sure your running a fan shroud...This alone will help with your cooling. I'm running an old/used 26" rad from a 71 chrysler 300 in my 440 powered wagon, with matching fan shroud and 7 blade fan on a clutch. No idea how old this system is, but the parts car 71 300 had been sitting at least 10 years when I bought it. Sat again for several years until I robbed the drive train for the wagon, and been inthe wagon 5-6 years now....so at least 20 years old. Other then a couple good rad flushes, add cleaner and run car...drain and repeat...I have done nothing to the stock rad. I have working A/C and have run it full blast in 100*F heat, idling, cruising etc...never had a cooling problem.

My 75 360 with AC has the inlet on the drivers side. As of right now it tends to overheat on highway drives longer than 15 or 20 minutes so I'm definitely planning on replacing the radiator. Is the fan on a 360 the same as a clutch fan on a 440?

I have never seen a 360 with a water pump inlet on the driver's side. I am referring to the lower radiator hose going to the water pump.

A 7 blade clutch fan from the 360 will work on the 440, and be aware that if the clutch is bad, it could be a source of an overheating issue. If this was the case it would run cooler at highway speeds and get hot at low speeds or when idling.

Oh, when you said inlet I thought you meant radiator inlet, not engine inlet. The radiator inlet on the top of the radiator is on the drivers side, whereas most of the big block pictures I see tend to have it on the passenger side. And it starts to heat up after a while driving on the highway or general street driving, so I doubt it's a fan clutch issue, I'll be able to actually look around this weekend when I head down to where the car is...

Back