440 Swap on my '68 Fury

Are you going to upgrade the drakes to give it some stopping power? Trust me if you are still on drum brakes. It won't be long until you need to haul her down in a hurry.

Unless he's going circuit racing or towing through the mountains even brake fade isn't an issue.

< Sent from my tablet >

I'd be much more concerned about a single master cylinder powering the drums than the drums themselves.

Yes, my plan is to update to front discs or perhaps four wheel discs. I also want to step up to a hydratech (hydroboost) system. A friend of mine put one on a charger and said it made a huge difference in stopping power. I want to keep the Fury under control. I think the reason the original pedal was so wide was so that you could safely place both feet on it. My car originally had non-power discs. I did lock up all four wheels once or twice in panic stops...with both feet.

I am also rebuilding the suspension and will upgrade the torsion bars and shocks.

I am upgrading the hp/tq and I also want higher performance from the braking, suspension and steering systems.

I want this car to be a cruiser with some real power under the hood. When it is done, I plan on hauling the wife and kids and want it to be as safe as I can make it.

I'm going to enjoy watching this build. Kind of Resto-mod but done in restraint and good taste. Thumbs up.

Does a bear $hit in the woods?...
Unless the bear is in a Zoo..............:icon_winkle:

Does a monkey with itchy butt syndrome have stinky fingers?
Can't help ya on that one.......:shruggy:

Would it be difficult to shove a wet noodle up a wild cat's a$$?
Another unknown for me.......:eusa_eh:

What WAS the question.....?

Thanks Stan.

I won't be going all original just for the sake of originality. There are others that have done that better than I ever could. Instead I will keep the outward/interior appearance as is. The underpinnings though are something else.

If those engineers in '67-68 could do their work over they would certainly use the best available technology. I considered a new Hemi swap but I really like the RB and LA engines too much to do that. Example: I have two of the original A/C compressors. They're big and heavy and do a good job. I also have a pro6ten compressor on my Vette. It is only 10lbs, smaller and takes less power to drive. You can get it in cast aluminum finish or polished. I have not decided yet which to use.

I plan on keeping the 14" wheels and hubcaps since I like them so much. I will repaint in the original Light Mist Green Poly. The bumpers and trim will be bright again too.

I will not lower the car. No flames either.

Drums get a bad wrap from the inexperienced
In this day of factory installed disc brakes.... 4 wheel disc brakes and anti lock brakes a lot of the necessity of "driving" a car has been eliminated.
Most folks under the age of 40 don't remember, or never knew about brake fade and "pumping" the brake pedal to avoid it.
Front disc brakes are great for maintaining a higher level of directional control for the less experienced drivers.... Rear disc's really don't offer much advantage for a street driver. Just a good way to dump any extra cash you may have.

Once the wheels are locked up.... weather with drums or disc's...... thats as fast as your gonna stop.

As commando1 said, Steep grades, towing and closed road course use are really the only place disc's have the advantage.

A low performance driver in a high performance car is the most danger......!

Last edited:
Hi all. New to Forum. Just thought I'd say hi.

I recently picked up a '68 Fury convertible and am working on it with my teenage sons - sort of a bonding project.

Step 1 is to get it driveable and safe - so we're working on suspension items, brakes, and some engine maintenance items.

Step 2 is likely bodywork and repaint

Step 3 is possibly to follow this posting and do a 440 swap. I've also picked up an original 440 (too good to pass up) and so we might try to do a swap at some point.

Hi all. New to Forum. Just thought I'd say hi.

I recently picked up a '68 Fury convertible and am working on it with my teenage sons - sort of a bonding project.

Welcome, good thing you're not going to make it a bondo project. :)

I considered a 440 swap into my wagon, but the original 383 just runs way too good to pull it out.

Jcloving-where are you at in North Carolina?

Hey wublick76,

I'm in Winston Salem. I'm part of the Piedmont Mopar Club, http://www.piedmontmopar.com/site/Welcome.html

The 318 had 265k miles and was not running smoothly. When I pulled the heads there was considerable erosion around the exhaust valves. The exhaust seats were not hardened. I had run a lead substitute but it was not enough.

Plus my machininst had said the main bearings had been starved for oil at some point and were very rough, as was the crank. He has since said that the block was good and could be rebuilt. The main caps were warped from excess heat when the bearings heated from low oil.

While looking for new/used main caps, I came across a good deal on a 78k mile 440 and 727. It was too good to pass up. I think the car will be much more fun with the 440.

John

Back