57 Plymouth Belvedere passenger mirror doesn't adjust for the driver??

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
Was the passenger mirror basically for show because it won't adjust so I can see on that side of the car (maybe for the passenger side!)?

I never heard of a "for show" mirror. It should adjust. Maybe it is rusted and will not move. Try some lubricant to see if it frees up.

If this is the mirror you have, the pointed piece is a cap that you can unscrew to loosen and tighten the mirror for adjustment..

5758MirrorVGC65.jpg

WOW, what a great car. The mirrors will take getting used to but will not replace turning your head for a look before changing lanes or directions.. I really love your car!

Thank you very much! After getting her street legal, we're going to rub out the original paint the best we can. The car has the original stamps on like the inner edge of the hood that indicate the final paint was done.

Thank you very much! After getting her street legal, we're going to rub out the original paint the best we can. The car has the original stamps on like the inner edge of the hood that indicate the final paint was done.
Your car is fantastic, I'm super jealous. That is in my opinion the coolest color combo available in '57. It's so unique and must be relatively rare, I haven't seen many like it but don't know the breakdown. You can contact Chrysler historical and get a copy of the build sheet. That is always cool to have. My friend has a 57 Belvedere 4dr like yours in gold (body color) and white (roof and trim stripe)

The small mirrors didn't provide a big field of vision and I'd think mounted up on the fenders would make it that much worse. Great car by the way, very nice!

In modern times, we've gotten used to the rh mirrors having a convex surface for a wider-angle view of things. In the late 1960s, pickup truck rh mirrors were on the door, but provided needed visibility of the rh side of the pickup body and directly behind it. The driver had to turn their head to look at it, rather than a glance.

Perhaps a better situation can be had by getting an aftermarket convex (blind spot) mirror of the same size as the existing mirror and affixing it to the rh mirror glass? Providing a wider field of vision.

Do get the orig mirror cleaned and adjusted first, though.

CBODY67

I have only the driver's side mirror on mine and it is on the door. It actually works fine in that location. I have been driving my car since 1965 with no problems but I turn and look and do not rely only on the mirrors.

You'll have to learn to drive your car.. I don't mean that as an insult or dig or anything but driving an old car in modern traffic with other cars that can outstop you in fractions of the distance required to stop your car is a skill. It's like learning to drive a truck and trailer. You need to look far ahead, leave as much space as possible in front of you, know what's around you at all times, don't move lanes until you're sure. brake before you have to (especially if your master cyl is still the single pot), and there is no substitute for actually turning your head and looking EVERY time. I daily drove mine and didn't have too many issues but LA traffic was a SOB...

Right hand mirrors prior to the 70 are very height dependent. Different cars and driver seat placement make a big difference. Even in my A-Bodies the RH mirror cannot be adjusted close enough to the car to be of any value. Even still the optics on these mirror don't compare to current cars and probably wouldn't be of much use.

Alan

Back