65 Fury III - 2 Clutch linkage questions

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello -

I'm slowly plodding along, detailing the engine compartment before I drop the new 440 into my '65 Fury III. The car is a factory 4 spd, and I noticed 2 things that didn't seem quite right when I was removing the clutch pedal Z bar.

First question - The eye on the clutch linkage rod (the one going thru the firewall) that attaches to the Z bar is not perfectly round...it's shaped like a circle with one end cut off (see pic). The stud that the eye fastens to on the Z bar arm IS round (see pic), and when you slip the eye over the stud, the fit is kind of sloppy. Is there supposed to be a bushing of some sort in the eye? It doesn't look right to me.

Second question - The body of the Z bar is basically a pipe, and it mounts on 2 pivot balls on each side, one in the bellhousing, and the other mounted on a bracket on the frame. Each pivot ball rides on 2 plastic bushings that help retain grease and take up slop. The bushings on the frame side are held in with a wire retainer that mounts on the Z bar body, but there's nothing to hold the bushings in place around the pivot ball on the bellhousing side. How are the plastic bushings supposed to be held in the body of the Z bar and around the pivot ball on the bellhousing side?

I've probably confused the hell out of everyone, so I can provide more pics if necessary.

Thanks in advance...

Chris

20160804_151220_resized.jpg

20160804_151155_resized.jpg

This is why at the very minimum you have to own a Factory Service Manual:

clutch.jpg

Last edited:
You are good for both questions, the clutchrod eye is supposed to look like that, and there is no bushing, just a clip to hold it on. For the z-bar bushings, the wire clip is one end only. As long as 1 end of the bar/bushings is fixed at the pivot ball, the other end cannot come apart.

What did you do for a motormount for your 440 in a 65? Does your block have the bosses to fit the special motormount? Only mid-70s 440 blocks have them.

Schumacher makes a mount for the non bossed blocks now. I mounted one on my '73 400 without bosses.

29707-0ee866dc8d204f52d56c553af42fd733.jpg

Fury Fan -

I used the motor mounts that BigFury mentioned. I had to drill and tap the block, which was a HUGE pain in the ***, but it seems to have come out ok.

Chris

Yeah, I had seen that Schum mount, was just wondering if you had done soemthign different/ingenious that was different.

The plastic bushings are just trapped on the ball and inside the pipe, the wire clip just makes sure it does not move too much to one side and slide off. Clutch rod and adjuster do have weird ends and held on by spring clips.

Last edited:
Back