'65 New Yorker bringing it back to life thread-

If you're missing that mixture screw, you might be missing the whole needle. Depending on the carb, it might be the whole things

Hot and cold idle adjustment screws/springs were wrong/missing.

The mixture screws are perfect.

Last edited:
This is the best way I've always tuned, give it a shot??
1. Set timing, 34 total @ 2500?? Where ever it falls, this will put initial to probably around 12

2. Get dwell meter, set to spec
3. Turn idle screws out 2 turns. Turn idle down to spec. ( 600 ish)?

4. Hook up vac gauge to manifold vac. Starting on one screw, turn in/out till you get highest/smoothest idle. Repeat on other side. Make sure engine is warm

Read plugs, and adjust as needed

You'll probably have a prob with the head that blew a pushrod, the valve seat probably leaks a bit

Took it outside for some sun-

20200705_111718.jpg

Ill elaborate more soon...this dude in lic is not me, ha!!!!

Its the guy who's been a longtime freind, and sold me the car- he's helping so he can go for some rides....

20200718_203635.jpg
20200718_203551.jpg

he mostly helps me drink, and has good knowledge....because he's old, ha°°°

Did take it down the street, and around the school parking lot a bit though...

Maiden voyage I guess...

Had to keep the trip short, have to stand on the pedal to get the car to stop...thinking they were incorrectly bled...

Also learned my carb is shot...at the bottom, where the butterfly swivels, is very loose- really bad vaccuum leak...

Had to keep the trip short, have to stand on the pedal to get the car to stop...thinking they were incorrectly bled...

Also learned my carb is shot...at the bottom, where the butterfly swivels, is very loose- really bad vaccuum leak...

No. Sounds like yer power brake booster is done. . .

Could be bad hoses if you didn't replace also

Sprayed carb cleaner everywhere. The motor only raced at the carb, both sides of the lower butterfly shaft. Changed the gasket, just in case.

Hoses and fittings insected good.

Back