'65 New Yorker bringing it back to life thread-

Gonna guess I smoked that ballast resistor a couple weeks ago...

rebuilt the top of the carb, thinking it was the carb...needed it anyways, ha!!!

Almost started digging into checking for jumped timing...

Fingers crossed it is just that resistor...

rebuilt the top of the carb, thinking it was the carb...needed it anyways, ha!!!

Almost started digging into checking for jumped timing...

Fingers crossed it is just that resistor...
You try putting a wire from the + coil to the battery to check that idea?

Check ign timing/firing order too

You try putting a wire from the + coil to the battery to check that idea?

Check ign timing/firing order too

Not yet. Going to try the coil/battery tomorrow and do some ohms tests.

I checked the firing order twice when I did the plugs/wires, but will re-check. Haven't tested the timing yet.

New ballast resistor didn't do the trick, but now see its .633 ohms...I think it should be 1.2-1.4 ohms if memory serves me right...

Going to dig in deeper tomorrow. The for all the leads. Much appreciated.

Compression check would let you know if your gonna be busy doing a timing chain...hope not

Process of elimination- this didn't do it-

FB_IMG_1589298103635.jpg

Put at tdc and check distributor rotor, see if pointing at #1

The plan was to do exactly that today, with the second pair of hand and eyes.

We decided to take looks at what's going on, one trying to start it, one watching the happenings.

Fireworks @ the starter. Took starter off- positive cable stripped...

Still not working with the new balast resistor, but worked bypassed...

Put the old ballast resistor on- worked without bypass.

Guessing bad ground @ the starter.

I hope he's still working on it and it didn't blow up or something....

My 65 wagon is ready for a test drive, convinced the DMV to give me plates yesterday! They normally mail them, she came out to me

Sorry guys...house went on the market, and have had my hands full of a bunch of new/old unfinished projects....

But yeah, found the front drums to be all new, including cylinders, rebuilt entirely the back, all new, all the way around- from the booster to the back right lugnuts....

After getting breaks together, had a bit more time to kill...and found my carter carb has 3 settings for climate...interesting....when it was parked, it was dead winter in MI, being driven an hour each way daily in 2001, 1 hour each wsy....and was set for cold weather....moved the part to the top hole, and ran much better, see pic-

20200606_214444.jpg
20200606_214456.jpg

but, now....idles great, but have to feather the pedal a bit to rev up, initially, before it will rev without stalling....

New accelerator pump hardware...

Timing? To compensate for weather snd reposition of rod on carb?

Not sure here....

I hope he's still working on it and it didn't blow up or something....

My 65 wagon is ready for a test drive, convinced the DMV to give me plates yesterday! They normally mail them, she came out to me

Nothing else yet....ha!!!!

waiting to get it plated....heard sec of state (dmv) is gonna get me in soon....

Back