'65 New Yorker bringing it back to life thread-

Good to hear you're still working on it and it's getting there.

Any idea what carb that is? Carter AFB?

Cut that crap out and put in a set of Cherry Bombs! LOL!

Good to hear you're still working on it and it's getting there.

Any idea what carb that is? Carter AFB?

Cut that crap out and put in a set of Cherry Bombs! LOL!

Its a Carter BBD, 2 barrel.

Got a random used flowmaster...unsure on series, to replace in- hopefully this week.

Its a Carter BBD, 2 barrel.

Got a random used flowmaster...unsure on series, to replace in- hopefully this week.

As soon as you can, do the ammeter/bulkhead connector bypass on your alternator. Best quick mod for this old cars you can do. Takes about 20 min and will save that car for a lifetime.

10 gauge from large stud on back of alternator direct to battery stud on starter relay. Done.

Underhood Ammeter Bypass

Yeah, I just did by pass too

CHANGE the ujoints! Just blew my front one without warning. I thought they always gave a warning, it didn't
While we're on that subject, did you check your drive angle as well? Make sure your springs aren't sagged and pulling down on the drive shaft. That will toast a u-joint faster than you can put it in. Ask me how I know...

My car came to me with airshocks and I thought that was great until I read up on them. Further inspection I noticed that my entire rear axle had rotated about 15 deg forward (down) when I dropped the pressure on the airshocks. I kept hearing what sounded like an airplane propeller when I was driving. The u joint was smoked and the clips were all bent out of shape

Replaced both springs, added a 2 degree shim, and new Spicer u-joint in the rear. New KYB shocks as well. All good now

While we're on that subject, did you check your drive angle as well? Make sure your springs aren't sagged and pulling down on the drive shaft. That will toast a u-joint faster than you can put it in. Ask me how I know...

My car came to me with airshocks and I thought that was great until I read up on them. Further inspection I noticed that my entire rear axle had rotated about 15 deg forward (down) when I dropped the pressure on the airshocks. I kept hearing what sounded like an airplane propeller when I was driving. The u joint was smoked and the clips were all bent out of shape

Replaced both springs, added a 2 degree shim, and new Spicer u-joint in the rear. New KYB shocks as well. All good now
Good to know, the joint was totally siezed, I'll take a look at drive angle

Good to know, the joint was totally siezed, I'll take a look at drive angle
Mine did the same thing. Was completely jammed. Then as investigated why, I realized the problem was bigger than just the u-joint. Of course some great advice from the boys on this forum really helped as well.

Unfortunately a lot of this stuff is based on the principle of "while you're there.." and tends to drain the pocket. But it's best to get it done while you have it apart so that it's not an issue later on.

Mine did the same thing. Was completely jammed. Then as investigated why, I realized the problem was bigger than just the u-joint. Of course some great advice from the boys on this forum really helped as well.

Unfortunately a lot of this stuff is based on the principle of "while you're there.." and tends to drain the pocket. But it's best to get it done while you have it apart so that it's not an issue later on.
Yes it does, I've probably only got 15 miles on it so far, rides/drives great so far. Tow truck driver had problems winching it because of weight

Maiden voyage failed to launch...

Will elaborate when sober....

Local car show was noon-4, @3:30 I was still tuning the carb....had to set the screwdrivers down and continue with the rest of my father's day plans.

Local car show was noon-4, @3:30 I was still tuning the carb....had to set the screwdrivers down and continue with the rest of my father's day plans.
I gave up trying to tune mine and had it rebuilt..
I can bet that if you took apart your carb it may look something like this..

20200620_124443-jpg.jpg

Carb should be rebuilt if the car has been sitting a long time. No doubt at least open it and clean it out.

I sent mine to Dave at Woodruff for a rebuild. Came back great. Car is actually running cooler because the mixture is properly squared away. Still dealing with vapor lock issues, but other than that, she's running much better since the rebuild.

Was actually very clean inside. I rebuilt the top end of the carb and cleaned it up good.

The adjustment screws were all wrong, and 1 was unknowingly missing...

Back