'65 Newport disc brake conversion

Newport65

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind to swap my front brakes to disc. What all would I need for this? A tandem m/c has already been installed.

I'm doing the same thing to my 66 Sport Fury convertible. The front discs and spindles are off a 73 CBody, they use the same 2 bolt ball joint as the drum setup for my 66. The original setup were a "Budd" discs system and they used a 4Bolt ball joints (those 4bolt ball joints are not reproduced (so far) and VERY exspensive and cost over $400+each to rebuild) the Budd calipers and rotors are also expensive to deal with. I'm putting 4 wheel disc's on my car, the rears are a story too if you want to stay with Chrysler. Good Luck.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it...."

ALL Chrysler "C" Bodies and most DOdge and Plymouth "C"s have big monster 11" x 3" Front & Big Monster 11" x 2 1/2" REar Drums -- and internal components to match ----- they usually stop fine -- especially for a low mileage used car.......
Up to '66 where they used a single or "suicide" master cylinder ---- many people do the upgrade to a dual master for safety reasons.....

but beyond that, you actually may want to consider leaving it just as is....
Enjoy life --- change on this may make you hate what you "attempted" to do....

I agree with mobileparts. Drum brakes work fine if maintained. Where they don't work well is repeated braking from high speed (road racing) or riding the brakes on long down-hill runs, which nobody should do. Disc brake rotors cool faster. Drum brakes are also touchier to gunk on the shoes. The feds mandated front disks ~1973 because of uneducated drivers.

Before starting this, look at the prices for factory disk suspension parts. I see outrageous prices from PST, I think because of the rare lower ball joints. Perhaps you can find a different design from a company like Scarebird, Wilwood, or SS Brakes. If so, please let us know how it went.

We do carry a kit for your car it is $999.00 but remember we provide free shipping throught US (48 States) and also you are a forum member so any order over $200 dollars gets ten% off. So you would get $99 off that price. We are also a dealer for SSBC and we willl match or beat thier website price and ship it for free. If you have any questions let me know. But I just wanted to make you aware of possible savings.

Thanks
James From
Marketing Supervisor
1-800-247-2288
Ext 316
jfrom@p-s-t.com

I did the 73 C-body disc brake swap on my 68 T/C wagon....great upgrade. And all the parts are readily available. The spindles are the only special piece you need, the motors, and calipers were used on many different applications. You can use the caliper mounting brackets from a 69-72 C-body, since they use the same caliper as the 73's. The only other thing that you might need is the dust shield. They 73 unit is different due to the shaft size on the spindle. But if you get one from a 69-72 C-body and trim off about 1/4" around the center hub it works fine...I know I did this. ;)

will the 73 C-body swap work on my 64 newport? what all I ne to do this swap?

I believe the 64 Newport was actually a B-body...so I highly doubt that it would work. Look. over on the FBBO forum to get a definite answer.

There was no "B" body platform per se in 64. The Plymouth and low line Dodges were "mid-size" cars (although marketed as full size) and Chryslers were a true full size. Two totally different platforms.
Chrysler Corporation had a total nervous breakdown when it came to a linear line of thinking.
With that said, the 64 full size platform had little in common with the 65 full size C-bodies.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Last edited:
Back