65 Polara for $8900

ledman

Reaction score
I am a member on the A body forum, mostly active there, and also on the B forum. I am looking into buying an old MOPAR, and want to keep my options open. I am leaning towards a 66-67 Charger, or a 66-72 Dart/Duster, Dart Sport/Swinger. But I am like the Polara also, hope i posted this in the right place, if not please forgive me:)

I randomly found this car FS on Hemmings.com, thought it looked nice, the inside needs some work, but the engine sounds funny to me.
I watched this video, is the engine supposed to sound like that? Does it just have a big cam in it?
It sounds like the idle is too low? I hear a hissing sound under the hood too, like a vacum leak, or could it just be the carb sucking air in?
Thanks for your advice. I am not new to cars at all, but have been out of the game so to speak for a number of years, and now getting back into cars again. I am a little rusty, like an old floor pan lol:sFl_america2:
http://youtu.be/-xL8jCM3Mkc

link to the ad
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/dodge/polara/1628872.html

I am a member on the A body forum, mostly active there, and also on the B forum. I am looking into buying an old MOPAR, and want to keep my options open. I am leaning towards a 66-67 Charger, or a 66-72 Dart/Duster, Dart Sport/Swinger. But I am like the Polara also, hope i posted this in the right place, if not please forgive me:)

I randomly found this car FS on Hemmings.com, thought it looked nice, the inside needs some work, but the engine sounds funny to me.
I watched this video, is the engine supposed to sound like that? Does it just have a big cam in it?
It sounds like the idle is too low? I hear a hissing sound under the hood too, like a vacum leak, or could it just be the carb sucking air in?
Thanks for your advice. I am not new to cars at all, but have been out of the game so to speak for a number of years, and now getting back into cars again. I am a little rusty, like an old floor pan lol:sFl_america2:
http://youtu.be/-xL8jCM3Mkc

link to the ad
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/dodge/polara/1628872.html

To me it sounds like a pretty agressive camshaft trying real hard to idle when it doesn't want to, but since it didn't stall, I'd think the carb is set on the rich side. The noise at the front seems to pulse with the engine rpm, so it could be air being gulped through the open aircleaner. It also reminds of the sound that bad alternator bearings make. Maybe it's just me, but for $8900 I'd be wanting to sit on a better looking bench seat than this car has.

I was figuring it was a aggressive cam, but sure it could use some fine tuning. I was just wondering if something like this, in your opinion is worth what they are asking? Whats wrong with the bench seat? Just because they want $8900 doesn't mean they will get that, I would maybe offer them $6K as a starting point and haggle from there.

It has a knee breaker A/C unit but there is no compressor. A million dollar shiny exterior with a shabby interior. A classic car dealer in Hemmings.
Three strikes already and I know an in person inspection will put the last nail in the coffin.
Personally, I wouldn't waste my time at half the price.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Well, thats good to know! Like I said, I am just getting back into cars, and need to re-learn this stuff, what to look for, etc, thanks for your advice guys. The thing is, this is the price range I will be probably be looking in, trying to get at least 10k together by the end of 2015. I am not a rich man, so I am saving my money and cutting back on unnecessary things

Like food, shelter, medical, etc. It's worth it.
Pneumonia? Pfftt. 2 aspirin and walk it off. :D

the idle is too low and sounds like a vacuum leak that could be all with motor if the body is sound the interior can be fixed to suit You

Like food, shelter, medical, etc. It's worth it.
Pneumonia? Pfftt. 2 aspirin and walk it off. :D

Hahah well not food and shelter but things like cable bill...newspaper subscription that I don't really read and just trying to be a little more thrifty. ..not cheap but just more consciousness of my spending.

It has a knee breaker A/C unit but there is no compressor. A million dollar shiny exterior with a shabby interior. A classic car dealer in Hemmings.
Three strikes already and I know an in person inspection will put the last nail in the coffin.
Personally, I wouldn't waste my time at half the price.

I'm with commando on this one, and it does sound like it needs someone that knows how to tune a car to do something with it. Being in Michigan(RUST!) might not be the best thing either. Also the front bumper is way too low, probably not a big deal, just an indication of shoddy work. You're in Ca., if it were me I'd look for a car out there. There was a '65 Polara 500 hard top out in Ca. that has been advertised for over a year for like $15,500 or something like that. Still too much IMO, but probably a better car than the one in Mi. Good luck, I'm still looking for a '65 Polara conv.

Looks pretty darned good to me but I would agree that that engine needs a bit of tuning to make it less irritable at idle..

361 would be a transplant, not available in a 65 Polara, at least not a US built car, I'm not positive about the Canadian versions.
Mike

Hahah well not food and shelter but things like cable bill...newspaper subscription that I don't really read and just trying to be a little more thrifty. ..not cheap but just more consciousness of my spending.

Yea... You can always sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.....

Looks like a weathered car that got a very recent paintjob with all the accesory put back on unrestored. The trim parts and interior give a good Impression of what the car actually is IMHO.
I avoid cars with new paint completely, too many things that can be hidden or issues with the paint itself that can Show up a year later.

Looks like a weathered car that got a very recent paintjob with all the accesory put back on unrestored. The trim parts and interior give a good Impression of what the car actually is IMHO.
I avoid cars with new paint completely, too many things that can be hidden or issues with the paint itself that can Show up a year later.
Very good point, I will remember that, thank you! See I am learning, this is a good thing! Now, if I can just remember that when I go to buy a car lol

Back