'66 383 HOT/COLD sending unit location

darth_linux

Reaction score
I'm going to plumb in a water temp. gauge soon when I get the correct thermostat housing installed, and I've found a suitable place for the sending unit to go right underneath the AC Compressor. It currently has a "plug" in it. But I'm curious as to where the hot/cold light sending unit is - everyone says "the front of the engine" but I'm not seeing it. Is there another place it might be besides on the water pump housing?

TIA

usually between the heater hose outlets in the WP housing.

but that’s the only place they put in a plug so it may not be there in a 1966 BB.

photos work well

7EA42EE1-186F-4725-BB37-33BA79A7FED6.jpeg

Here is on off car, easier to see, this is a 1967 and newer, the 1966 is a bit different.

3E86BB10-427B-4D0E-931A-21400A7A352D.jpeg

usually between the heater hose outlets in the WP housing.

but that’s the only place they put in a plug so it may not be there in a 1966 BB.

photos work well

View attachment 590591
What do you know, that was exactly where it was. I didn’t see it beneath all the belts, brackets and hoses. Thank you.

You CAN use the existing 3/4" hole which is for the dual hot/cold sender for an after market temp gauge, as I did on our '66. Those capillary tube senders do just fine in that hole, with a proper reducer bushing, which the vendors normally provide for them.

Nice thing about Golden Age Detroit Iron is that one can use regular NPT plumbing fittings with it! That's just one example of why I will never buy any motor vehicle made beyond that period.

That is exactly where I installed the sensor for my AutoMeter temp gauge! Easy peazy.

Autometer makes good stuff! Since I LIKE having the Cold and Hot lights working, I drilled and tapped a Dorman thermostat housing for the temp gauge. Using an Autometer again. I like NOS Stewart Warner, but their modern Hecho in Mexico MERDE didn't last a year.

Back