Two prong Temperature sending unit

jct

Reaction score
68 383 2bbl auto

At what temperature does the hot light turn on at? I'm tempted to remove the damn temp gauge that I installed on it..so I can ignore the damn thing... Creeps up to 210°F after about 40 minutes of highway driving (around 70/75mph) and cools down at lower (city driving) speeds thermostat still works great (Robert Shaw thermostat) replaced the water pump (8 vane or should I use the 6 vane pump?), reverse flushed the radiator, I currently have radiator and heater core filters in place to catch all the crud, next spring I'm going to be checking my work on the timing chain to make sure it's inline, my timing is set at 1inch hg below maximum vacuum. So yeah I'm still casually chasing this gremlin

68 383 2bbl auto

At what temperature does the hot light turn on at? I'm tempted to remove the damn temp gauge that I installed on it..so I can ignore the damn thing... Creeps up to 210°F after about 40 minutes of highway driving (around 70/75mph) and cools down at lower (city driving) speeds thermostat still works great (Robert Shaw thermostat) replaced the water pump (8 vane or should I use the 6 vane pump?), reverse flushed the radiator, I currently have radiator and heater core filters in place to catch all the crud, next spring I'm going to be checking my work on the timing chain to make sure it's inline, my timing is set at 1inch hg below maximum vacuum. So yeah I'm still casually chasing this gremlin
What are you using for your radiator and heater filters? I’m curious.

26" radiator or 22" radiator. Factory a/c or not.

The 6-vane pump runs faster than the 8-vane non-a/c pump, due to different pulley drive ratios. So comparable amounts of water volume either way.

IF you really need filters in the cooling system, it needs to be fully flushed anyway. 210 degrees F at highway speeds is not too hot. Get a timing light and set to specs rather than guessing with a vac gauge.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Freeway type driving should not be a challenge for cooling systems unless your radiator has not been rodded out in some time. I don't understand your logic about putting in an overtemperature light to cover up a gauge that is telling you the reality that should not be taking place. Answering @CBODY67's questions would also give us insight as well as how many rows of tubes it has. Back flushing a radiator will not address sediment buildup that has taken place in the lower part of the tubes - they need to be rodded out.

I also wonder about using filters in the system and how that helps anything much unless you really do change them out at regular intervals.

Last edited:
68 383 2bbl auto

I have searched and searched for that info and I haven't found it. I think it's around 220-225*, but that's just a guess.

I have found that Stewart Warner does offer senders that come on at various temperatures. 200-270*F . Switches Archives - Stewart Warner so you could have a light that comes on when you want.

Regarding everything else, I'd lose the filters. That just sounds like something that restricts flow. But if there's that much crap in the system, there's other problems you need to address.

It's also time to buy a timing light and set the timing the right way. Yea, guys set them by ear or vacuum gauge all the time... and then I read about them having problems. To me, you set the timing with the light, drive and adjust. You need some precision to figure that best point out and so many things will vary the vacuum, that I can never see how you can come up with the best setting... Let alone repeat or tweak.

What temperature is your thermostat?

That said, 210 isn't bad... Your gauge could be wrong too. (No one ever believes me when I say that...)

You have a car with a gauge and a light. So if you could test it out and let us know when the light comes on That would be nice.

Factory AC converted to sanden(done before I got the car) compressor, 26" 3 core radiator, had it set at factory timing it's pretty laggy at a take off, still no change in temperature wise still creeps up, it's an autometer temperature gauge, and my money is pretty tight can't exactly get it rodded out the filters i got is the metal screen mesh easy to clean out and high flow just to help filter out the crap

I clean it after each drive after its fully cooled off, and i did flush the cooling system twice, once by me and the other by a local shop

I had "creeping heat" on my former daily car. Even with a 3-row Modine radiator. It had been in the car for about 3 years, so it had some accumulation in the bottom of it (a cross-flow radiator). Got another new one. Same issue. I got was getting frustrated as it would slowly increase the temp on the gauge at 70mph, even with the new 3-row radiator. The car had a factory flex fan form it OEM. Got a new one of those, thinking the blades were feathering too quickly (2000rpm cruise), no change. I finally configured an OEM-based fan clutch and fan and that solved everything. But I also know that your car should already have a clutch fan on it. I was using a 180 degree F thermostat, as I had for many years.

In theory, as long as the engine does not clatter, or trace rattle on medium acceleration, the timing is probably good enough, BUT that does not also mean the air/fuel mixture is not too lean, or heading in that direction. Lean mixtures run hotter than richer mixtures. If the carb is OEM, it's probably calibrated on the lean side of things for emissions purposes, yet the ceramic on the spark plugs should be a light tan in color to a non-chalky white. Chalky white means "too lean".

There are some realities about cooling system flushes. One is that a pure water flush can be the best way to go as any flush using a chemical to loosen rust/scale from the block's coolant passages can well loosen/dissolve scale which has deteriorated the "freeze plugs" in the cyl block and cyl heads, which leaves a thinner thickness of those sealing plugs in the process, which can lead to them needing replacement sooner than later. Not to forget about the heater core.

The real accumulation of gunk in the cooling system will be at its lowest point, which is the back of the cyl block. Some of it might require mechanical removal or prodding to get it removed. Which also means that all of the freeze plugs will need to be removed to get to it and flush it out. So, if the freeze plug(s) starts to seep, plan on this course of action. In another forum, some posters complained of a nagging "heat" problem, but that problem vanished when they replaced the freeze plugs and cleaned the coolant passages they seal, then after a final water flush, refilled the system with a quality coolant/water mix. So, with that prior knowledge, doing that messy situation might well be where you end up.

One way to possibly gauge the situation, as to restrictions in flow, would be to get an IR heat gun and check the sides of the block for temperature variations with the engine running. Hotter temps can be where the accumulation in the coolant passages is greatest. With that information, you can proceed from there as desired.

In the mean time, do some research on radiators, their costs, and "fins/inch" specs on their radiator cores. There apparently are some differences, even for similar types of the newer aluminum radiators. Personally, I like the composite aluminum radiators, but none are offered for Chrysler products, just GM products (at significantly lower prices!!). So that leaves us the option of either the aftermarket aluminum radiators or the copper radiators with their lead-soldered tanks AND higher prices. The thing I do not like about the welded-together aftermarket aluminum radiators is that when they might become clogged with time and such, they become a big beer can of sorts. BTAIM

I understand the funding issues. Been there myself. So do ensure that all of the rubber sheeting is one the car to make sure that all air goes through the condenser and radiator rather than around it. Chryslers were usually better about that than GM cars, which means there should be a rubber flap on the bottom front area of the hood to seal the air from going over the radiator.

If off-idle response is important to you, you might try using an intake manifold vac source for the vac advance on the distributor. Not changing the base idle timing, just the vac source. This will effectively put more advance at base idle, which means the hot base idle speed and mixture will need to be adjusted to factory specs with the vac advance line plugged. Try that and see how it goes. If the engine clatters on acceleration, change it back to ported. After the car is rolling down the road, the total advance would be the same either way.

In one respect, 210 degrees F at cruise is not too hot, but past about 240 degrees F, THEN I'd start to get concerned. Even with a 180 degrees F thermostat. So, nothing really pressing about having to do more that might cost money at this time. Even if things might be delayed for 6 months or so.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I'll need to take my car out for several laps around the highway.

Had all the factory air flow shielding in place with a the fan shroud, with a new fan clutch, that I installed several years ago, yes the short block needs rebuilt, but it still drives

Back