66 Chrysler 300 floors

Travis

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ever since I bought our house three years ago I have eyed the neighbor's 66 Chrysler 300. It was his fathers car that he owned since it was new but he had passed away years back. The opportunity has come up for me to buy it fairly cheap ($1000) but time has had it's toll on it. The floors rotted in spots along with the trunk. I've been looking up replacement pans for it. C bodies are new to me. Other than looking up pieces for strictly a 300 will other vehicles be similar? Newport, Furi, etc?

IMG_20180804_104927112.jpg

IMG_20180804_104938883.jpg

Last edited:
I have the pass front left over from mine. It’s a new C2C panel. The only company I’m aware that makes it. I was able to get a good floor from a 68 Fury. $25 plus shipping

It looks like you got a nice and straight car. '66 300 coupe, great looking car. Good luck with the restoration. You are on the right forum, so many knowledgable guys here that are willing to help. Thanks for the photos.

Fury (might be a little short in front of the rear seat), Polara, Monaco, Newport all fit. 4 door, 2 door, sedan, hard top, wagon. I used the floor from a 4 door sedan to patch my 2 door hard top. Fit perfectly.

Do NOT buy the repro panels - thin, and more work than they're worth getting them to fit any way closely. Your best bet is a good used floor panel.

Hey everyone. Ever since I bought our house three years ago I have eyed the neighbor's 66 Chrysler 300. It was his fathers car that he owned since it was new but he had passed away years back. The opportunity has come up for me to buy it fairly cheap ($1000) but time has had it's toll on it. The floors rotted in spots along with the trunk. I've been looking up replacement pans for it. C bodies are new to me. Other than looking up pieces for strictly a 300 will other vehicles be similar? Newport, Furi, etc?

View attachment 204219

View attachment 204220

Your are getting a deal. Buy it. Depending on the level of rust spots on the floors, most of that can be spliced from a donor car unless a high point show car is your objective. Car is worth more than the asking price as the quarters, rockers and front fender radii all appear solid. As noted above, most of the repro stuff is junk. Find a donor car. If the engine is still free, this car is probably worth twice the asking price just for parts.

Dave

Depending upon the extent of the "rust", you might get a patch area fabricated and installed. DON'T remove more than you need to for a good repair! Also be sure to properly treat the newly-bare metal with appropriate rust preventative coatings, even some POR-15, so you don't have to worry about it later. Then undercoat the undersides well, after cleaning and painting.

CBODY67

Damn man, a grand? She's a beaut! She'll take some work but 66 is worth all you got.
Nice car and good luck!

Initially he wanted $1500 but I have never really taken real close look at it . Interior is trashed from age but that's nothing. I can do the interior myself. I sold my Camaro a few days ago and went over to talk to him. Slid under it as much as I could and I was pushing through the floorboard. That's when he apologized and said just give me $1000 for it. He fires it up every once in awhile and drives it around the block so I know it's a runner. It has the 383 in it and I believe right around 80,000 miles on it.

How do the tailight bezels look? If they aren't corroded and pitted to nothing, those alone are worth the asking price. If they are mangled, be prepared to search the globe and pay large for replacements.

Legendary does replacement upholstery for 66 300's.

Kevin

Do a good valve job (our '66 and my '67 383s needed valve guides on #7 at about that mileage) and put a MP Roller Timing Chain in it and if it's had decent care, it'll be good for another 80K+ before a rebuild might be needed. At $1K, you can afford to spend some money and recoup your investment, easily. It'll be good for a long time, when done well.

CBODY67

Good to know. I've planned on pulling the engine, going through it and upgrading it. This will be a project for my sons and I. They are 4, 8 and 12. My oldest is upset that I let my Camaro go. I've had it for 21 years and just didn't drive it anymore. Rather ride the bike instead of taking the car out so it sat. Always wanted a dropped long cruiser.

IMG_20171101_124854.jpg

One thing about "dropping" a C-body, is that it can have some challenges, if not a complete re-do of the suspension. Now, I believe in the Drydock about 10 years or so ago, there was a guy in KS that put a 4-link on the back of his '66 Newport 2-dr hardtop. As it turned out, easier to do that I suspected. Using the orig front spring eye location for the pivot point of the lower arms, for example. Don't recall what it took on the front, but the car ended up loosing ALL of the Chrysler-trademark TorsionAire feel, which is one thing that makes them so much better and nicer to drive, especially with HD shocks.

The front and rear body overhangs already might have some "approach/exit" issues with the rear bumper and tail pipes as is, so anything lower can take some additional care in how and where the car travels. Which, to me, detracts from the total driving experience.

On my '77 Camaro LT, I had OEM Z/28 cat-back pipes put on it. When the resonators went away, I shopped for newer mufflers. Ended up with something "larger" in diameter. I wanted the system "clamped, not welded", which they did, against their desires. Their clamps stretched, but on the way home, I noticed that even the slightest bump caused the NEW mufflers to hit the pavement AND the gentle apron on my driveway. I figured I'd just reposition them, which was problematic. Ended up getting the correct replacements under it at another shop. That was ENOUGH experiences with a factory low car and saggy exhaust systems! Even at factory ride height! Ever notice how some of the factory ground effects had a higher point in the middle of their rocker panel pieces? Otherwise, the whole thing could end up in the street!

To me, ANY OEM Chrysler suspension is at its best when it's at factory level ride height. Plenty of wheel travel to better absorb bumps/dips without bottoming out. Best with HD shocks, too.

Just some thoughts, from my own experiences.
Enjoy the project!
CBODY67

I'm more looking into an air ride setup but that's all future dreaming. Have to dig into this body and get that squared away.

Back