66 Monaco Wagon Preservation

I took the last couple of days and worked on the front end, replaced the shocks and all of the sway bar rubber. I was happy to see that there were no rusty bolts and everything came off easy. The sway bar had been done before as both the frame supports and end links were the bolt-on type. Pretty easy install, although I forgot and tightened up one side then was surprised when the other side wouldn't fit! The shocks looked fairly new but one had no gas in it and squeaked when the rod was moved, definitely shot. I took it for a ride today and there is a big improvement, no more bottoming and porpoiseing and no more tire squeal on turns. The rear shocks are next.

General comment - this under the car work is getting tough for us old guys. I'll be 70 at the end of this month. I have to plan my projects in small doses and the recovery time is directly proportionate to how many times I have to get up and down from the floor! This job kicked my butt pretty good, I probably should have stretched it out over three days instead of two. I plan to keep it up though, since if you stop moving who knows what might happen!

DSCF3550.JPG

DSCF3551.JPG

DSCF3553.JPG

DSCF3554.JPG

Finally a break from rain and unseasonal cold in north Texas! I took advantage of some nice summery weather to install my rear shocks. This was a much easier job than the front shocks / sway bar, whole thing done in 3 hours including lunch break. The old shocks were both leaking, new are the same load leveler type. The ride is now even better, still a little boat like befitting the car's heritage but no more bottoming out.

DSCF3783.JPG

DSCF3785.JPG

DSCF3790.JPG

DSCF3791.JPG

Nice job and such a nice 66. I can relate to your getting up and down pain having just removed the fuel tank in my Monaco wagon. Had to take a full recovery day, and I’m only a strapping 62.

Finally a break from rain and unseasonal cold in north Texas! I took advantage of some nice summery weather to install my rear shocks. This was a much easier job than the front shocks / sway bar, whole thing done in 3 hours including lunch break. The old shocks were both leaking, new are the same load leveler type. The ride is now even better, still a little boat like befitting the car's heritage but no more bottoming out.

View attachment 225411

View attachment 225412

View attachment 225413

View attachment 225414

Are these the ``hi-lift`` shocks from the option list?
What are the road manners like with them?

Are these the ``hi-lift`` shocks from the option list?
What are the road manners like with them?
These are not factory style shocks as far as I know. They are regular Monroe gas shocks with coil helper springs around them, designed to keep the rear from sagging under load (and maybe also compensate for old sagging leaf springs. The ride height is pretty level but I would actually prefer the rear to be a little bit higher. The car rides smoothly and is a bit floaty even with the new shocks but if you hit a sharp bump you can feel the helper springs kick in.

DSCF3280.JPG

These are not factory style shocks as far as I know. They are regular Monroe gas shocks with coil helper springs around them, designed to keep the rear from sagging under load (and maybe also compensate for old sagging leaf springs. The ride height is pretty level but I would actually prefer the rear to be a little bit higher. The car rides smoothly and is a bit floaty even with the new shocks but if you hit a sharp bump you can feel the helper springs kick in.

View attachment 227497

I agree with the ride height.

Just read thru' your complete thread Don.(Beautiful long roof BTW) I waz going to comment on the "alleged" 134 conversion too when I looked at your pix when I started reading your thread but held back 'til I got thru' the whole 6 pages. 67Sporty spotted the same thing. You get the 134 nipples when you buy the conversion kit as part of the package???? They should all ready have been in place??? I'm curious please. How far are you from Boyd, TX? I have a Mopar long time Car-Bud and his wife living there. We did ah 2 week 'round trip journey to Portland, Or. in '96 for a joint Meet between National WPC+ Western 300 Club. My wife and I drove up to their place from Austin and I drove his '67 300 coupe while he tailored his '55 C300 up and back. (that 5000 mile trip iz where I got RE-introduced with Bias ply tirez after 25 yearz of radials, YUCK.) Lemme know if you're interested in hooking up with another Mopar Fanatic, and I'll see if I can make it happen, Jer

Just read thru' your complete thread Don.(Beautiful long roof BTW) I waz going to comment on the "alleged" 134 conversion too when I looked at your pix when I started reading your thread but held back 'til I got thru' the whole 6 pages. 67Sporty spotted the same thing. You get the 134 nipples when you buy the conversion kit as part of the package???? They should all ready have been in place??? I'm curious please. How far are you from Boyd, TX?

According to the PO they did not use a "kit", they just evacuated the system, drained and changed the oil and added 134 thru the original R12 ports - which is what I did when I added 134. Who knows what they really did, I now have a much bigger job ahead of me...
Not sure where Boyd is, I'm about 30 miles north of Dallas.

According to the PO they did not use a "kit", they just evacuated the system, drained and changed the oil and added 134 thru the original R12 ports - which is what I did when I added 134. Who knows what they really did, I now have a much bigger job ahead of me...
Not sure where Boyd is, I'm about 30 miles north of Dallas.
'Bout 30 miles NW of the Fort. Between the Fort. and Decatur. Their'z ah little breakfast joint in that town that'z worth the trip. They have named their cinnamon rolls COW PATTYS 'cuz they take up the whole plate. Good thing I don't live in Boyd or I'd look like ah sumo wrestler, lol

Last edited:
I'm back after almost three months and finally a little progress. My AFB never ran right even after two rebuilds and the choke never worked. I wasted time trying to rig a manual choke unsuccessfully but just wound up with a car that was a ***** to start and always ran too rich. So like many before me, I finally gave up and bought a shiny new 1406 Edelbrock. I used the Edelbrock Mopar linkage adapter and found a fitting that let me retain the original metal fuel line. I did the whole conversion in less than a day, the most time consuming part was wiring the electric choke to the accessory fuse under the dash. I had to do a redneck relocation of the coil to clear the choke housing but I'll improve on that. This is the third car that I have adapted an Eddy carb to and I have to say they have all run pretty much perfect out of the box as advertised. The car is now a pleasure to start and drive - on to other issues.

DSCF4628.JPG

DSCF4630.JPG

DSCF4631.JPG

DSCF4633.JPG

DSCF4627.JPG

Good news! My car runs great on that carb also.

Strange my stock air cleaner fits on with no adaptor.

Back