66 Monaco Wagon Preservation

Nice score! I have the digital version but would still love to have the real deal in front of the me.

Neat find! Any oily fingerprints?

CBODY67
The outside edges have the DNA of thousands and some of the tabs are worn away but all of the actual pages are very clean. Best part is no mildew smell, must have stayed inside all these years.

I spent some time on the wagon yesterday, started by lubricating and adjusting the trans and throttle linkage. It was a bit off, I now have the secondaries opening fully and now have passing gear at full throttle with the full single exhaust vacuum cleaner sound experience. I also drained and refilled the radiator with fresh Prestone, didn't do a reverse flush but did flush the radiator with the hose until it was clean. The car has a coolant recovery tank and lines on it but had the wrong radiator cap so it never worked. I added a 16 pound vented cap so now it will work.

I also got under the car and took a better look at the front suspension. All the linkage is tight and the balljoints and CA bushings are good. The swaybar linkage is really bad with missing bushings at the top of the support rods, no wonder I hear some clunking. I also think I may replace the front shocks, even though the PO said they were done it moves too freely on the bounce test.

DSCF3305.JPG

DSCF3308.JPG

DSCF3309.JPG

Very clean looking wagon, you said the PO changed the A/C over to R134A, but in the under hood pic's I didn't see any retrofit fittings. I know he said it was done, but must not have been by a shop. We always change the fittings and it gets a retrofit sticker listing charge amount, oil amount and type.

How about that LH side torsion bar bushing that looks pretty bad? It seems to be cracked.

Very clean looking wagon, you said the PO changed the A/C over to R134A, but in the under hood pic's I didn't see any retrofit fittings. I know he said it was done, but must not have been by a shop. We always change the fittings and it gets a retrofit sticker listing charge amount, oil amount and type.
Very true, I'm sure this was a "backyard" effort, which may also be part of the compressor failure.

How about that LH side torsion bar bushing that looks pretty bad? It seems to be cracked.
Are you referring to the sway bar bushings? They are all cracked and some are partially missing, I have already purchased new Moog replacements.

Are you referring to the sway bar bushings? They are all cracked and some are partially missing, I have already purchased new Moog replacements.
Maybe the strut rod bushings is what he is referring to.

I had another lucky find on Ebay, a 66 Monaco/Polara factory shop manual. The seller was the AACA Library and this is basically a new original with no signs of use and just a little cover soil. Now I can leave the coverless grease stained one I got with the car in the garage. Best part is this was only $35, saw some in much worse shape or repros up to $85!

DSCF3310.JPG

DSCF3312.JPG

DSCF3313.JPG

Has anyone tried to repair the windshield washer pump used on the 60-66 C bodies? Mine doesn't work, I've seen repros for $50 to $75 but is there an easy and cheap rebuild?

I had another lucky find on Ebay, a 66 Monaco/Polara factory shop manual. The seller was the AACA Library and this is basically a new original with no signs of use and just a little cover soil. Now I can leave the coverless grease stained one I got with the car in the garage. Best part is this was only $35, saw some in much worse shape or repros up to $85!

View attachment 214081

View attachment 214082

View attachment 214083
I have two copies, one for the shop (just started to come loose at the binding) and one for the house. House copy thanks to @Polara_500.

I refer to the bushing around the straight bar visible on the last picture you posted. If I was looking right that straight bar would attach to a lower point of the lower A arm and a bit closer to the brake than the anti sway bar. I hope my explanation helps.
dscf3309-jpg.jpg

Oops! I was thinking that the car was ```mirrored``, so that pic was taken from rear to forward and not vice versa.
Thank you for correcting me!

Back