66 Newport Steering Gear Boc

5fty7vn

Reaction score
Anyone know where I could find a reputable gear box for a 1966 Newport......or someone who does quality work restoring one? Mine has a leak at the top, mechanic thinks it could be a seal that is gone bad. We talked about replacing it or even having this one rebuilt since the settings on my current box are right where they should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gear Box.jpg

Firm Feel, Steer & Gear, others. Could be easy peasy if it's just an o-ring under the hose connection block.

The device on the top of the steering gear is the PA valve. It has o-rings under it that seal it to the steering gear housing. If you are going to remove it, carefully scribe the current location and install it back in exactly the same position or the car will self steer. The o-rings are generic high density rubber, be sure to replace with hydraulic rated units or they will not last. Most good hose shops will have the correct o-rings. The cheap o-rings that are sold at car Crap or Auto Bone are not up to the task.

Dave

The device on the top of the steering gear is the PA valve. It has o-rings under it that seal it to the steering gear housing. If you are going to remove it, carefully scribe the current location and install it back in exactly the same position or the car will self steer. The o-rings are generic high density rubber, be sure to replace with hydraulic rated units or they will not last. Most good hose shops will have the correct o-rings. The cheap o-rings that are sold at car Crap or Auto Bone are not up to the task.

Dave
LOL.......got it. Thank you!!

Amazingly enough, I bought a rebuilt box from BBB 2.5 yrs ago that thus far has served us without losing even a capful of fluid. Sometimes crapshoots come up 7 come 11. Depends on your budget with what you want to get.....

Back