'68 300 project

Gorgeous car! Side markers were standard on ‘68s.
Post up a pic of the interior and the fender tag.

Here is a pic of the tag

IMG_2552.JPG

Seems to be pretty basic. I am still sorting out the build. The online tool leaves a few things blank.

View attachment 200719

View attachment 200720

You just have to make sure you get the letters and numbers lined up correctly - for most of them anyway. Always have trouble with the tire code.

CAR: Chrysler 300 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: December 15.
AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: , Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Black Interior.
PAINT: Red (Dodge), Matador Red (Plymouth), Scorch Red (Chrysler), Flame (Imperial).
OTHER:

MOLDINGS:
14: Sill Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
J8: Remote Trunk Release
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R2: Music Master AM Radio
S3: Autotemp Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y7: White Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators

You just have to make sure you get the letters and numbers lined up correctly - for most of them anyway. Always have trouble with the tire code.

CAR: Chrysler 300 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: December 15.
AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: , Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Black Interior.
PAINT: Red (Dodge), Matador Red (Plymouth), Scorch Red (Chrysler), Flame (Imperial).
OTHER:

MOLDINGS:
14: Sill Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
J8: Remote Trunk Release
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R2: Music Master AM Radio
S3: Autotemp Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y7: White Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
Thanks for breaking this down. You did much better than I.

It's been a while since I updated this thread. Winter is over and I am finally back to the car. So far I have replaced most the belts, plugs, spark plug wires, coil, dist cap, points, fuel pump and filter and lines, water pump and hoses. The radiator is being re-cored and a new gas tank and sending unit, shocks and valve cover gaskets are on the way. I forgot how quickly the
"while your at its" add up! The carb has been soaking and its next in line. I think I am about ready to start this beast.

REEJ3893.JPG

Since you have all that room , this would be a really good time to check the timing chain while you are at it.

Dave

Are you sure you want to use air shocks on this beauty?

NOTE TO D RAY'S ALLEN ..SELF, Re-use original locking collar with the new sealing gasket when installing new sending unit .. 'Cuz re-pops are crap and WILL NOT SEAL .. My wordz of wisdom for the day. Nice '68 300 Slabby BTW. Love the azz end of those '68 300s, Jer

NOTE TO D RAY'S ALLEN ..SELF, Re-use original locking collar with the new sealing gasket when installing new sending unit .. 'Cuz re-pops are crap and WILL NOT SEAL .. My wordz of wisdom for the day. Nice '68 300 Slabby BTW. Love the azz end of those '68 300s, Jer
Thanks for the heads up!

I need some help. I've read the owners manual and still cannot figure out how to remove the fender skirts on the '68. I have found the locking lever, put in in the 6 o'clock position and the skirt is still tight no matter if if push, pull, tug or whatever. It's not rusty...what am I missing? Thanks!

Jiggle it harder and pull down at the rear at the same time. And put some gloves on because I often will loose a chunk of skin on these.

Last edited:
A year and a half after bringing the tank home it finally started and ran today!!

It's idling nicely at 500 RPM and ran cool as a cumber. It looks like she is going to be fine. I ended up replacing the gas tank and everything fuel related forward to the rebuilt carb. Ditto for all hoses, wires, pumps, radiator has been re-cored. New starter, plugs, distributor, intake pulled and tanked, you name it. The "while your at it" bug got me hard.

Crazy how well it run considering it hadn't been started for 30 years. We are on to the brakes and front steering stuff, idler arms, ball joints, etc.

Glad you are making progress, good luck. Don't forget to check the timing chain!

Dave

Brakes, ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends almost done and it is tire time.

Currently the 300 has brand new, 30 year old G-7014 tires on it. I have been looking at comps and came up with 235 70 R 14, 225 70 R 14, 225 60 R 14, etc...

What are you guys running?

300 bbb.jpg

Last edited:
Brakes, ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends almost done and it is tire time.

Currently the 300 has brand new, 30 year old G-7014 tires on it. I have been looking at comps and came up with 235 70 R 14, 225 70 R 14, 225 60 R 14, etc...

What are you guys running?

View attachment 354098

If yer gonna stick with the 14" wheels, your choices are gonna be pretty limited. Since you need four new tires, why not bite the bullet now and acquire some 15" x 7" wheels and move up to something like a 235-75/15? If you ever decide to do a disc brake conversion, you will need the 15s anyway.

I am using Torq Thruster II. 17 x 8. I cannot remember the off set at the moment.

Tires are 245 - 50 - 17

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

Thanks guys! I should have noted that this car has the OEM hub caps and steel '14 wheels w drum brakes. I am planning to keep the caps, etc. I am keeping this car as close to original as I can.

Thanks guys! I should have noted that this car has the OEM hub caps and steel '14 wheels w drum brakes. I am planning to keep the caps, etc. I am keeping this car as close to original as I can.

Well. . . Ya know. . . Fifteen inch wheels and disc brakes were an option on that car. Just sayin. . .

Back