'68 300 project

68 300 (5).jpg
IMG_20190505_005433673.jpg

Very nice 300. I still have my red '68 that I've had since I was 13. It's not nearly as nice as your car, but I've seen a lot rougher vehicles brought back.

The tail panels were silver on the early "68 300s and they supposedly changed to black due to complaints of headlights reflecting back on vehicles pulling out to pass. There was an article and a collection of VIN sequence numbers in an article in Mopar Collectors Guide many years ago. I have had 7 '68 300s and the VIN numbers they listed searching for the point of change matched my VINs vs tail panel color. I don't recall any follow up article closing the VIN gap any tighter than they had in the original write up.

It's been a while since I posted any updates. The 300 is a sweet driver these days. Still have a few bugs to work out but she is road worthy. A pix from this fall...

300.jpg

What's the build date?
Early examples got the silver tail panel whereas the majority got black.

Finally got new exhaust on the '68. I'm down to turn signals and getting the headlight covers to operate.

dual.jpg

I brought my Stepdad's '68 home almost 3 years ago after a 30 year stint in the shed. The goal was to get it running and stopping again, take my Mom on a ride and put it in my hometown car show.

It's done. Mom was amazed and a lot of old men told me stories about my Stepdad this weekend.

The car made the 170 mile round trip flawlessly. It's amazing how those big old boats cruise, it just floats down the highway. It got 16 MPG.

300 at Azeala 2021.jpg

Last edited:
I brought my Stepdad's '68 home almost 3 years ago after a 30 year stint in the shed. The goal was to get it running and stopping again, take my Mom on a ride and put it in my hometown car show.

It's done. Mom was amazed and a lot of old men told me stories about my Stepdad this weekend.

The car made the 170 mile round trip flawlessly. It's amazing how those big old boats cruise, it just floats down the highway. It got 16 MPG.

View attachment 458470

It is absolutely gorgeous!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back