68 Convertible Top issues

mwelther

Reaction score
Convertible top will go down with no problems. It will not go up however. Motors make the whirring noise, but the top never gets 2-3 inches high-- any suggestions?

I had the same thing happen with my 68 Newport Vert. It would go down good, but going up I had to force it with my hand. The problem is that there was air in the hydraulic lines. Everyone said just keep filling up the reservoir and work the top up and down and that would take out he air, well that never got rid of the air in the lines because there was too much air to bleed out. I had to open the lines with the most air and fill it manually with a syringe. Be careful because it was brake fluid in my lines, you don't want to get that on your paint. After you add fluid tighten the line nut and work the top up and down. You may have to do this quite a few time. Good luck.

THANKS! I may check the reservoir first -- just need to find it -- can you direct me to it!

I had the same thing happen with my 68 Newport Vert. It would go down good, but going up I had to force it with my hand. The problem is that there was air in the hydraulic lines. Everyone said just keep filling up the reservoir and work the top up and down and that would take out he air, well that never got rid of the air in the lines because there was too much air to bleed out. I had to open the lines with the most air and fill it manually with a syringe. Be careful because it was brake fluid in my lines, you don't want to get that on your paint. After you add fluid tighten the line nut and work the top up and down. You may have to do this quite a few time. Good luck.

I am going after it this weekend! One final question. How can you tell if it is brake fluid or tranny fluid that is in there? and is it bad to add one to the other or do you need to ensure you add the same type?

Did you get it fixed?

brake fluid is clear or brown with age, tranny fluid is red. the two are not compatible.

They taste quite a bit different too.

But seriously... It should be trans fluid. That's what Chrysler says to put in the system and what I've seen used.

If it's brake fluid and you had a leak, the results could be disastrous. Brake fluid will strip paint quite nicely, where trans fluid is just an oily mess. If it turns out to be brake fluid, it may be worth considering flushing the system.

Did you get it fixed?
Thanks so much for all the feedback... Just finished the job and the top works great now... In the lines you can still see fluid, air, fluid, air in the lines but the top goes up and down fine.

Good job. Just keep working it up and down. If the pump was higher than the lines the air would come out quicker, but if it's not broke, don't fix it.

another question

I should start another thread, but you guys know your stuff --- how involved and costly is it to get someone to troubleshoot and fix the gas gauge, temp gauge and speedometer? They all worked recently but not all together. Temp gauyge used to work then I messed with it trying to fix the gas gauge and then the temp gauge would go from a normal reading to automatically going straight to the right. then is stopped moving at all. gas gauge worked until the clown I bought it from had the tank replaced and he said something "wasn't hooked up right", speedometer is stuck at max speed -- never moves.

Good job. Just keep working it up and down. If the pump was higher than the lines the air would come out quicker, but if it's not broke, don't fix it.

The temp and gas guage problems could be an issue with the voltage reg on the printed ciruit. They are in a series.
The speedo is unrelated and is either stuck or needs to be repaired/replaced.

Did you locate a factory service manual, (fsm), yet.....?

But seriously... It should be trans fluid. That's what Chrysler says to put in the system and what I've seen used.

If it's brake fluid and you had a leak, the results could be disastrous. Brake fluid will strip paint quite nicely, where trans fluid is just an oily mess. If it turns out to be brake fluid, it may be worth considering flushing the system.

DO NOT USE BRAKE FLUID ......! The system requires ATF and it's easy to add fluid through the plug on the side of the motor.

Thanks so much for all the feedback... Just finished the job and the top works great now... In the lines you can still see fluid, air, fluid, air in the lines but the top goes up and down fine.
So what did you end up doing to fix the problem?

So what did you end up doing to fix the problem?

took seats out, removed motor/reservoir and it was only 1/3 full -- filled it up 3/4 full and then ran the top many times with plug still out of reservoir. Top works fine now, but it is still evident there is air in the lines, but as someone said...if it works fine, then let it go. thanks again!

took seats out, removed motor/reservoir and it was only 1/3 full -- filled it up 3/4 full and then ran the top many times with plug still out of reservoir. Top works fine now, but it is still evident there is air in the lines, but as someone said...if it works fine, then let it go. thanks again!

:ImNewHere:

So the reservoir is on the side of the pump/motor? Mine is working, but seems to be laboring a bit. Kel

That would be the first thing on the agenda if it was B/F.

Flush that system then fill with ATF!

Back